Sump Pump Discharge Question - Drywell?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdog78

Reaction score
Here's a fun one - Bought a new construction house from an architect and investor (a flip) - passed inspection and received COO from the town, all permits closed. So you would think all is good, correct?

Well, went to do some routine maintenance on sump pump in basement and found it was discharging to the sanitary sewer - big issue. The piping was done in a way that it was hidden - essentially you couldn't tell by looking at it - it pumps behind a finished wall, where it connects to the sewer line and comes back out. Anyhow, assume for a moment that I was a duped/stupid first time home buyer and need to fix this myself.... what can I do?

House is in a small lot in an urban/suburban area. No storm sewers out front. Pump is in the front corner - with garage to one side and front of the house on the other. I don't want to pump water onto my front lawn (it kicks off regularly in heavy rains), so I am thinking my only option is a drywell, but I've heard different opinions on whether this causes more problems. Is a drywell the right route to go here? How big should it be?

Latest posts

Back