Sump pump discharge problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegoldnj

Reaction score
I just replaced my Zoeller M53 pump with a brand new M53 and new Zoeller 30-0238 inline check valve.

Got everything back together and pump is running but, no discharge from outside line. Took apart main discharge pipe from the extension attached directly to the pump and check valve and plugged in pump, pump pushed water up and out.

Seems like it's pumping but not strong enough to push the water all the way through. Feeling into sump, at base of pump, there appears to be a small hole at base of cast iron structure, from which water is being discharged while pump is running.

It's suppose to have that small hole. It keeps it from air locking. How high is it pumping? how far is the run? There is a formula I use to size pumps. And how much water are you pumping to test it? Make sure check valve is going in the right direction. and at what height did you put the check valve from bottom of pump?

The pump size is fine. This is a direct replacement for older, same model.

The entire pump was submerged and, the secondary, higher sitting, pump was engaged. Unplugged the secondary pump and let the new one run. It was running but, no discharge outside house.

Check valve is in correct direction. It is directly screwed on to pump discharge port, it is a Zoeller valve made to be connected this way. Again, exact setup as before.

Could there be an airlock somewhere else in the line?

Did you drill a 1/4 hole in the pipe below the check valve? Or is the hole already in the check valve where it screws in? I never use those type. Don't like them. never have. It won't air lock in one place and not the other. Make sure that the weep hole if pre drilled on check valve is not clogged. Was it pumping enough water to fill the entire run of the pipe and then some? If it is pumping then it has to be going somewhere. Is it a new check valve or did you reuse the old one?

Check valve already has weep hole. Brand new.

Spoke to Zoeller. The pump was working fine when disconnected from main line and with only check valve and 2 foot extension pipe.

At the top of the vertical runs from the pumps, above the tee to horizontal runs, there are what appear to be two air valves. Zoeller guy thinks it has something to do with that valve.

PICTURES OF AIR VALVES?.. Never heard of air valves. Is the higher pump a battery backup?

But as you said it's pumping, just not discharging. The pit will not entirely empty. You will always have some water in it. Just fyi.

Believe me, been dealing with this for 20 years.

The higher pump is also AC and is .5 HP, the lower is .3 HP. We have a whole house natural gas generator so, no need for battery back up.

ce1bf680069e2b158a756c0156c406aa.jpg

Those "air valves" aren't doing a damn thing. They do not work in pump applications. Post a picture of your pump set up in its entirety

Insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Just because you have been dealing with it for 20 yrs does not mean it's right. You ask for advise and then don't want to hear it

Insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Just because you have been dealing with it for 20 yrs does not mean it's right. You ask for advise and then don't want to hear it

I'm asking for advise on a specific issue with this replacement pump.

The system in place has been working perfectly for 20 years, keeping basement water free.

My comment was in reference to the comment about some water always remaining in the sump.

It will never completely remove all the water. There will be water in bottom of sump. I believe the pump has feet which does not allow it to sit in bottom

Pump needs a real vent. Studor vents are not designed for that application also weep hole needs to be drilled in discharge line to keep pump from air lock

It will never completely remove all the water. There will be water in bottom of sump. I believe the pump has feet which does not allow it to sit in bottom

Yes, I know that. In fact, my pumps sit on stands (each at a different level).

Pump needs a real vent. Studor vents are not designed for that application also weep hole needs to be drilled in discharge line to keep pump from air lock

There is a weep hole in the check valve connected to pump discharge.

Can you post picture of check valve that is usually located outside of pit and weep hole is in pipe in tank

thank you. That was my thought.

Latest posts

Back