Sump Pump Battery Back-Up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Dome

Reaction score
Hey Everyone....

As many of you know, the East Coast experienced a hurricane over the past weekend. The power in my home went out along with the sump pump. We have a finished basement that I spent thousands on for home theater, bar, pool table etc etc. My wife, son and I hauled buckets of water from the sump pump well in the basement and dumped outside for 10 hours straight to keep water from destroying our basement. The power finally came back on 10 hrs later. Our efforts worked and we had no flood damage at all. Yea, we have flood insurance and could have said screw it. I really did not feel like messing with insurance companies and renovation etc etc.

Could someone recommend a battery back-up for sump pumps. Something portable and simple where if this happens again, I take the back-up from the closet and connect my sump pump ac chord into this battery unit and instant current to keep the sump pump going for 72+ hours.

Thanks

I don't know how many amps you are talking about but a nice power inverter tied to your car battery would probably work just fine. I know many years ago, while working at my police department, we did not have the money for our diesel back up generator. We did have the ability to use this same set up to power the entire dispatch center, including all the panic alarms, cell alarms and of course, the telephone system.

Only if he's on city water, with a well, the pump is going to be down too.

Thanks for the additional information.

In an emergency, and without water pressure, I would run an inverter off my car battery with the engine idling if necessary.

Many folks in Florida run inverters instead of generators during power loses.

During the 4 Hurricanes we had in 2006 (I think) I ran an inverter off my tractor battery to keep the refrigerators and TV running plus a few lights. When I needed water, I fired up my 5KW Honda generator and filled my 120 gallon tank.

It would take a pretty good sized inverter to start a pump motor.

During the 4 Hurricanes we had in 2006 (I think) I ran an inverter off my tractor battery to keep the refrigerators and TV running plus a few lights. When I needed water, I fired up my 5KW Honda generator and filled my 120 gallon tank.

It would take a pretty good sized inverter to start a pump motor.

Don't use the inverter to run your main sump pump.

Use a smaller pump for emergency backup.

BTW I built a house in Maryland.
I tapered the earth (swale) away from the house to prevent surface water from reaching the foundation walls. No gutters, 24" eaves, and no sump. Very dry below ground.

IMHO Guttering is unnecessary and sump pumps are indicative of poor house design if there is no existing subsurface water.

Last edited:
Don't use the inverter to run your main sump pump.

Use a smaller pump for emergency backup.

BTW I built a house in Maryland.
I tapered the earth (swale) away from the house to prevent surface water from reaching the foundation walls. No gutters, 24" eaves, and no sump. Very dry below ground.

IMHO Guttering is unnecessary and sump pumps are indicative of poor house design if there is no existing subsurface water.

Boytonstu....

Hmm...very interesting about "tapering the earth away from the house to prevent surface water etc etc". I will look more into that. I may have a project next year....:)

Everyone, thank you very much for the outstanding feedback. A lot of interesting ideas. In the short term, I may just install a secondary back-up sump pump and be done with it. Perhaps long term, I may look at a more permanent solution by improving drainage around the home.

Boytonstu....

Hmm...very interesting about "tapering the earth away from the house to prevent surface water etc etc". I will look more into that. I may have a project next year....:)

Everyone, thank you very much for the outstanding feedback. A lot of interesting ideas. In the short term, I may just install a secondary back-up sump pump and be done with it. Perhaps long term, I may look at a more permanent solution by improving drainage around the home.

When I was planning my house a fellow at work said this to me:

"If gutters cost $1,000 spend $2,000 to gain more overhang and swale the earth instead."

I am glad that I took his advice.

I enjoyed watching the leaves blow away instead of clogging up the downspouts and creating ice dams.

I smiled every time I passed a sign that read: "Gutter cleaning".

In my world, gutter is a dirty word.

Today, I am in Florida in a house without gutters.

After you taper the earth, please report back on the condition of your sump.

Back