Sump Pump Basin Perforated or Non-Perforated

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfuzzy

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm installing a french drain in my basement...and I'm sort of stuck on whether I should be using a perforated or non-perforated sump pump basin.

I've looked at tons of You-Tube videos...and did lots of internet research...but all this info hasn't convinced me one way or the other.

Many folks/experts do seem to say use a perforated basin (and have good logic for it)...but there are still enough other folks who say don't use a perforated basin (and seem to have good logic as well).

Any opinions here (perforated/non-perforated). Please include reasoning as well please.:)

Thanks

I looked at the perforated sump basins, I would use a solid one if you are trying to remove water, if I'm understanding you correctly,looks like the perforated one would leach back into the ground

What is the nature of your 'french' drain, how extensive and what are the conditions?

My home is slightly downhill from my one next door neighbor.

The best I can determine...when it rains really hard (2+ inches in an hour)...plus the extra water running onto my property from my neighbor...the ground in the front & side of my home gets saturated & large amounts of standing water on my front lawn. Then I get water leaks in the front of my basement (possibly from the front of my home & from the side-front of my home that face's this uphill neighbor).

I believe the leaks are at the base of the basement wall (where the wall & floor meet). This is a 106 year old home...which I believe most likely had a dirt floor originally...then at some point much later...a fairly thin (2" or less)...concrete floor was poured.

This is definitely not a modern home that has a poured foundation footer...then poured foundation walls...then a poured 3-4" basement floor.

But long story short...the water infiltration seems to mostly be when there's a really hard/fast storm...or a storm that rains hard for a long time (1-2 days constant rain)...where multiple inches of rain (2, 4, 6 inches total rainfall).

The rain seems to come in from the front of my home...then flows from front to back flooding the basement.

* I've dug a french drain along the perimeter of the front part of the basement (one side & the front)...about 12" wide & 15" deep.
* Lined the french drain with some porous non-woven fabric.
* Laid down a base of 3/4" stone.
* Laid 4" corrugated pipe (downward pitch towards the sump pump/basin).
* Covered 4" corrugated pipe with more 3/4" stone.
* Folded over the non-woven fabric (like a burrito).
* Dug the hole for the sump pump basin & basin is in it.

Now I'm at the point of connecting the 4" corrugated plastic pipe/drain tile to the sump pump basin...but before doing this trying to figure out if I should leave the non-perforated sump pump basin as it is...or drill some holes in the sides of the basin to make it perforated.

Some folks/experts say holes in a perforated basin can keep it from floating when there is a "water/rain event". Thus these folks say a perforated basin is better.

Other folks say the holes in the basin can let the water that's been collected from the french drain into the sump basin...back out into the ground (ground around the basin)...and not be pumped outside via the sump pump. Thus they say a non-perforated basin is better.

But again. My water issue is mostly due to heavy rain/storm events (mostly during the actual rain event). When the rain event is over...usually the basement flooding stops within 30-60 minutes of the rain stopping. But as things are now...this can result in 1-2" or more water in the entire basement!:(

Just need to know what you guys think. Perforated or non-perforated sump pump basin?

Thanks

I'd prefer perforated, as it'll get the water table down that much further, and eliminate standing water. [I say this as someone who was today years old when I learned there were perforated basins, and who spent way too long with a drill making my own.]

Other folks say the holes in the basin can let the water that's been collected from the french drain into the sump basin...back out into the ground (ground around the basin)...and not be pumped outside via the sump pump. Thus they say a non-perforated basin is better.
Any water from the drain piping AND/OR that enters through sump perforations should be pumped to a discharge location far enough away from the building so as not to flow back into area being drained. If properly installed, no water will be recycled back into the sump.

Your sump is in the basement and below the floor level, correct?

I’d install a solid basin. But it might not matter either way.

It surely wouldn’t matter if the basin is solid and it’s installed properly.

If the basin is perforated and you drain anything into that basin like dehumidifier drains, etc, you might be putting water exactly where you don’t want it, under your foundation.

Last edited:
Any water from the drain piping AND/OR that enters through sump perforations should be pumped to a discharge location far enough away from the building so as not to flow back into area being drained. If properly installed, no water will be recycled back into the sump.
Apologies if what I stated earlier was unclear. All sump pump water is discharged far enough away to not be an issue.

What I was referring to in the previous statement was...as water enters the basin from the french drain 4" corrugated pipe...with a perforated sump basin...some of that water can exit the basin through the basin perforations...before it can be pumped out via the sump pump.

Or with a perforated basin...water enters the basin via the 4" corrugated pipe & water can enter via the basin perforations (if the ground around the basin is saturated/water table water is high).

Bottom line seems to be:

* With a non-perforated basin...seems you have more control over what water enters & is pumped out via the basin.
* With a perforated basin...seems you have less control over what water is pumped out (could be french drain water or ground water from around the basin).
Your sump is in the basement and below the floor level, correct?
Ohh yes definitely (sump basin is 26" from top to bottom). Sump basin top is flush with the basement floor.

Thanks

I’d install a solid basin. But it might not matter either way.

It surely wouldn’t matter if the basin is solid and it’s installed properly.
I think the one aspect that some folks/experts mention about a solid basin...is the possibility of the basin "floating" if there's not enough weight in the basin (sump pump weight + anything else).

If I went with a solid basin...I was thinking of putting a thick piece of slate/flat rock at the bottom of the basin...then placing the sump pump on top. This way there would hopefully be enough weight in the basin to keep it from floating up.

Thanks

If the basin is perforated and you drain anything into that basin like dehumidifier drains, etc, you might be putting water exactly where you don’t want it, under your foundation.
Most definitely...totally agree...that wouldn't be the best.

I think the one aspect that some folks/experts mention about a solid basin...is the possibility of the basin "floating" if there's not enough weight in the basin (sump pump weight + anything else).

If I went with a solid basin...I was thinking of putting a thick piece of slate/flat rock at the bottom of the basin...then placing the sump pump on top. This way there would hopefully be enough weight in the basin to keep it from floating up.

Thanks
If you cement the basin into the slab there’s no way it’ll float.

Here’s another guys opinion.

http://provantageprop.com/index.php/2020/11/26/sump-systems-and-perforated-basins/

If you cement the basin into the slab there’s no way it’ll float.
Yes this is probably what I will do long term...and like you said would definitely prevent any basin floating. The previous sump basin (which was smaller in diameter & less deep)...was cemented in. I'm installing a larger/deeper basin in the same location as the previous basin.

I know the final step in most of these interior basement french drain projects is to cement everything over so that the basement floor is returned to "normal".

Since this is my first DIY french drain project in a basement...I was going to hold off with the final cementing in...until I verify that the french drain is working properly. Once I know everything is working properly...then I'll feel better about cementing everything in.

Thanks

p.s. Thanks for the link. That was one of the links I found & read (before posting here)...that supports using a solid basin. But of course there are other links that support using a perforated basin...which is why things can get confusing (which way to go). Lol

With a perforated basin you might be taking water from one side of the foundation ( wet side) then conveying that to the basin where it may be dry and that water would run out of the basin and under the foundation until it was saturated.

Of course that’s scenario may not exist. But I suppose it could happen.

With a perforated basin you might be taking water from one side of the foundation ( wet side) then conveying that to the basin where it may be dry and that water would run out of the basin and under the foundation until it was saturated.

Of course that’s scenario may not exist. But I suppose it could happen.
I think it makes sense...and I also think it describes my particular situation well. My sump pump (and basin)...are located where I think things are the driest (opposite side of the basement farthest from where I think the water is most likely coming in from during a storm).

I'm sure there are excellent situations where a solid basin makes the most sense...and there are situations where a perforated basin makes sense.

In my situation...I think the soil below my homes foundation is mostly "dry" (water table/ground water is not near the surface). I'm mostly trying to control sudden storm water (such as evening Summer thunderstorms that may last 1-2 hours that may drop 2"-4" of rain in a short time)...or the passing tropical storm (from a downgraded hurricane)...that could drop 6" or more rain in a short time.

I think...in this situation...a solid basin in combination with the french drain I'm putting in makes the most sense. I'm thinking if someone's soil under their home was more "wet" (ground water/water table was nearer the surface at all times)...then maybe a perforated basin could make more sense.

Thanks

Back