Sump Discharge Line Backing Up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaGuy

Reaction score
Winter before last my sump discharge line backed up inside the home. There had been a week of zero degree temperatures, so I suspected that the line was frozen. I contacted a plumber and he when he arrived he stated he believed it was frozen. He put an elbow on top of the discharge line that was open and would allow water to discharge right next to the house when the line was obstructed. I will post a picture of this.

After temperatures increased, the water continued to discharge right next to the house. I contacted another plumber and he said the line should no longer be frozen due to the extended period of warmer temperatures. However, he was unable to get a camera into the 1.5 inch pvc line that exits my home, travels about 18" underground, and then travels under my driveway and 90 feet out to the street where it taps into the storm drain system.

I contacted a third plumber that recommended I run the line to the rear of my home into a wooded area. I paid him to do this and it worked fine, but it created a water problem for my neighbor whose lot is lower than mine. I was also informed by the County that sump water must be discharged into the storm drain system. It cannot be discharged directly outside of my home.

So, the plumber that had violated code disconnected the line to the rear of my home and re-connected it to the line going to the street.

I contacted a plumbing company that has expertise in my specific problem, and they were able to get a camera into the line out to the street (though the camera he had did not reach the tap, only the end of my property line). I personally watched the monitor. The line is PVC all the way to the street, and it appeared undamaged and unobstructed. There was a small amount of standing water in the bottom of the line but 80% plus of the line was clear of water.

The plumber offered to return with a longer camera line and a hydrojet. I told him I would run water in the line first to ensure it was unobstructed. After running water in the line for an extended period, there was no backup. I used a hose so obviously the volume and pressure I applied was dramatically less than the pump delivers. The line drained fine with water from the hose.

Unfortunately, every the sump discharges water, the water shoots right out of the relief opening next to my house. The plumber believes it could be blocked at the tap, though it is unlikely.

No one has an explanation. I have asked if it could be because the pipe is only 1.5" in diameter, and has three 90 degree turns in close proximity, resulting in pressure that forces the water back out of the relief hole. The plumbers don't think this is the case.

The County says it is my responsibility all the way to the tap, though it appears the tap is under the street since the camera to the end of my property line showed no tap and no obstruction.

I am lost, as I have used 4 different plumbers and do not yet have a solution to this problem. The 4th plumber I used was the most knowledgeable but the expense will increase dramatically with the next step and I do not want to spend thousands unnecessarily when I have confirmed my line is unobstructed with 1.5 inch PVC for the length of my property.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

cap that ''relief'' opening
and your problems will go away

The plumber offered to return with a longer camera line and a hydrojet. I told him I would run water in the line first to ensure it was unobstructed. After running water in the line for an extended period, there was no backup. I used a hose so obviously the volume and pressure I applied was dramatically less than the pump delivers. The line drained fine with water from the hose.

Unfortunately, every the sump discharges water, the water shoots right out of the relief opening next to my house. The plumber believes it could be blocked at the tap, though it is unlikely.

This is funny, OF COURSE the water shoots out the relief opening when the pump kicks on
the water is being pushed by a pump, it is going to come out where ever there is an opening
Your plumber is a dummy....tell him I said so

Last edited:
Sounds like your line is shallow enough to allow freezing of standing water within the pipe. If you saw standing water in the pipe, it sounds like it's not continuously sloping down and that's your freezing problem. Not good! May happen again.

As far as water coming out of the overflow, that's just a matter friction loss due to combination of pipe size, fittings used, and length of run. The over flow would have to be higher than the total friction loss in feet. A larger pipe size, with a continuous slope, with no sags is what it should have been.
But sounds like you're real problem is that standing water subject to freezing.

Latest posts

Back