Sump Basin and Pump Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J Driggers

Reaction score
* Back Story *
Hello All I'm new to the forum and generally do my own diy plumbing.
During the last rain storm (basically 5 strait days of rain) my basement flooded on the last day. Perfectly, dry previous to that. I could not find any leaking down my walls or anywhere else that would have let in 10 inches of water. Leading me to think that is came up from the floor ar ound the foundation. I found this odd being that I was under the impression the house had a sump pump and exterior french drains.
* Back Story Over *

I pulled the lid off of what I though was the sump pump basin:x.jpg

and found the following in the hole:Missing Sump Pump.jpg

I have done quite a bit of research on how these should be installed and no examples say that there should be a 2 inch pipe for the sump pump to discharge into in the basin. Everything I've found says the pumps discharge tube should come out of the top of the basin and go out to daylight with a check valve.

So this leads me to my first question. Is this actually a sump pit? Is it safe to use what I'm assuming to be the 2 inch discharge tube? Is there an easy way to test where the 2 Inch tube is going?

Also i'll apologize before hand if i missed a post. i attempted to do a forum search but really didn't find anything talking about a discharge tube in a sump basin.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

So I take it you never looked into that sump before now?

I can't really speculate very much at this point and I would hope there will be other more experienced members that have more experience with what they see here.
What are those lines on the left side shown going into the sump? Something you added to help pump it out?
The fact that the potential AC power conduit was buried under the slab along with a 2" pipe was done before the slab was put in makes one think that it may be because they were anticipating a potential ground water problem.
I'm thinking that the 2" may be an overflow to a lower point somewhere and/or a place to stick a small pump discharge.
How old is the house? How long have you lived there? Are there any previous owners that may be able to shed some light on it?

Did you try sticking a hose, with some flow, down that 2" line and look for where it may be coming out? Or even if it will take flow?

You were speculating as to where the water entered the basement. It seems to me, the path of least resistance would have been from that sump. Particularly if that 4" line was connected to a french drain.

EDIT:
Hey Geofd...I took so long writing my comments you got yours in before I posted mine.:)

So I take it you never looked into that sump before now?

I can't really speculate very much at this point and I would hope there will be other more experienced members that have more experience with what they see here.
What are those lines on the left side shown going into the sump? Something you added to help pump it out?
The fact that the potential AC power conduit was buried under the slab along with a 2" pipe was done before the slab was put in makes one think that it may be because they were anticipating a potential ground water problem.
I'm thinking that the 2" may be an overflow to a lower point somewhere and/or a place to stick a small pump discharge.
How old is the house? How long have you lived there? Are there any previous owners that may be able to shed some light on it?

Did you try sticking a hose, with some flow, down that 2" line and look for where it may be coming out? Or even if it will take flow?

You were speculating as to where the water entered the basement. It seems to me, the path of least resistance would have been from that sump. Particularly if that 4" line was connected to a french drain.

EDIT:
Hey Geofd...I took so long writing my comments you got yours in before I posted mine.:)
that's ok your probably right about that 4" I just replaced my ground water pump and I have a 3"drain that drains into it also.....im getting ready for all the rain extended downspouts way away from the house....I even installed a second pump above the main one.....I know its not gonna get to that but you never know

Back