Studor vent on vent pipe above roof

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gquayle

Reaction score
My house is typical rural setup with a well and a septic tank. There is actually the main house and right next to it is a guest house. The weird thing is there are studor vents attached to the top of the vent pipes that penetrate the roof.

I thought that these vents were supposed to be used in situations where the vent pipe doesn't go above the roof line. Do these serve any purpose above the roof line? They were probably installed about 12 years ago when the house went through a remodel. This was all done long before I bought the house.

The guest house has one bathroom and one vent pipe through the roof with a studor valve. The main house has 2 baths, 3 vent pipes going through the roof and 2 of these have studor vents.

The problem with Studor vents is they allow air into the system but not out. I'm very surprised every thing is working. When water goes down the waste lines it is displacing the air in the lines and with Studor vents this air has no were to go. For this reason code requires that at least one vent 1/2 the size of the main line be open to the atmosphere.

John

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea why this was done, but I think I will try and remove them to see if the toilets flush better.

I took the studor vents off yesterday and the toilets that I was ready to replace are now flushing much, much better. Amazing what some people do to their house.

Back