stuck pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstarcom

Reaction score
I am helping my sister install a new sink and counter in her bathroom. Because the new sink drain is now 6 inches away from the old drain I need to put in a new P-trap. When the old P trap was connected with the wall pipe 20-30 years ago, it looks like it may have been glued. It is is corroded as well. Ideas on how to remove? Or should I just cut it horizontal and use a coupler?

20240325_151702.jpg

I just did this at my father’s old house. Basically every part of the old sink’s tail piece, and P-trap, along with the fittings literally crumpled during the removal. Some parts were held together only by the chrome plating. Replaced it all with PVC and the only fitting I could find to attach it to the wall was a rubber Fernco.

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpeg
    IMG_4518.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It's just siezed in there. Like twowax said use force, it'll come out. If not a shielded coupling and new tubular will work.

That's just a tube trap, agree w/Geofd- some WD40 and twist it a little and it should slide right out. Then you can just build it out with new thin PVC fittings.
No need for a coupler anywhere.

I sprayed with penetrating oil and left it over night. Then I cut the pipe so that I could use a mallet on the end of the pipe to break it loose. No luck. The tube trap extends too far into the wall pipe and it is very old. Because it extends so far, I am not optimistic that a heat gun or torch will break it loose, as I can only heat and cool the very end of the pipes. The trap is not thick enough that I can get very rough with it without completely destroying it. I think I will just clean up the end of the cut pipe and use a Fernco or PVC coupler to join to the new trap.
20240328_122619.jpg

Latest posts

Back