Stuck Bathtub Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor18

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I'm trying to remove an old bathtub drain in a 50 year old apartment we recently moved to. It was in the condition you see in the photos when we moved in. The top plug is missing so it's useless as a stopper. We've been using the shower but want use of the tub as well. So I decided to replace the drain/stopper and bought a new one at HD along with some plumbers putty.

Drain was not difficult to loosen and spin. And I noticed the old plumbers putty squeezing out as I turned. However, after loosening, all it does is just keep spinning freely. I can't lift it out. I'm assuming it's because that center shank/bolt is preventing the drain from lifting up. I am able to turn the shank as well but not as easily as I'm able to spin the drain. The shank also just spins without loosening.

The "Pro" at HD said the center shank was probably screwed in too deeply when installed and is catching on the pvc below the drain cross-members. Advised me to clamp on to the shank with locking pliers and pull up as I turn to pop the shank loose. But I'm stuck. No matter how hard I try, I'm unable to pull the shank up as I turn it with the locking pliers. It spins, but it won't pop loose. I'm not a plumber but I didn't think a simple drain swap could be this difficult.

Any advice, pointers or ideas? Thanks again.

20181216_161957.jpg 20181216_162003.jpg 20181216_162023.jpg

I think the long shank is just the broken shank from a cable drain pop-up.
Likely it is a cable drain. Geberit is the best brand cable drain.
You should plan on replacing with a Geberit cable drain. They come tubular or glue-type. Use whatever conditions dictate.
Measure centerline of drain to overflow in order to get the right size range.
It has to be done from below or the back side.
I recommend you hire a licensed plumbing contractor to do this.

Reactions: bbp

Latest posts

Back