Stubborn Shower Leak - Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang2010

Reaction score
Hello,

As you can see by the first photo, I have a shower leak into my basement. The water drips in the upper right (Lets call this North East), where you can see slight water damage from the slight leak.

2_zpswdgt9wae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The shower base is Onyx. The base is not perfectly level, it slopes to the North East corner with the leak. I cut a hole in the sheetrock behind the water lines and find no sign of leak on the line connections to the valves, nor any dripping down the lines. When someone stands in the shower, there is some slight movement to the base, as the supporting floor moves slightly (less than 1/8").

From the basement view, there never appears to be any water dripping or leaking around the drain, which is easily viewed. So we did not think the drain is an issue.
5_zpswzfc6elo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a very small shower with frameless glass door that doesn't seal good, so we originally thought that was the source of leak. The door closes on the North East corner in the proximity of the leak downstairs. We silicone caulked all around the front to the base to stop water from the outside from coming in. We tested this seal, keeping a close eye that we did not get any water on the outside of the shower, but the leak remained.

We re-did all of the aging caulking on the inside of the shower and repaired any suspicious looking grout (tile walls, by the way). Another test and the leak remained.

Since we were out of ideas, we looked at the drain. The photo looking into the drain shows a suspicious looking black seal (looks like its not perfectly sealed, to my un-trained eyes). On the bottom of the photo, you can see where the seal has a hole, like its flexing away from the inner pipe. The previous owners siliconed all around the compression nut and seal. The silicone was moldy and failing so I ripped it out to take the photo. Could this be seeping water slowly under the pan, causing our leak? Is it proper to silicone the inside of this type of drain?

Out of ideas, I snaked my camera under the Onyx base with the shower running. I Couldn't really see anything that way, but did find where some water damage was so I included these for your consideration also. These photos are looking towards the North East leak area.

3_zps9wo3fvuj.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Are there any other ideas? I've received a quote from Re-Bath to redo the whole thing for $4k, but I'd rather fix it myself as the tile is not too dated!

Thanks in advance!

Back