Stub-out pipe came out of wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janetbrauns

Reaction score
Hi. Can you help me? I changed the elbow, trap and drain extension under a bathroom sink. I tried to unscrew the nut on a horizontal four-inch piece of pipe that goes between the wall (and end of elbow) and the vertical pipe behind it. Instead, the little piece came out. I pushed it back in, put everything together, and it leaks where elbow (straight piece with curve to trap on the end) meets the wall pipe. A screwdriver meets something hard four inches in under the stub, but no goo. Do I have to worry about water getting into the wall?:confused:

P.S. Posting times are wrong. It's 2:20 here, not 6:20.

Stub-out from side.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. The metal part, which looks like it has a nut on the end where it meets the PVC, came all the way out of the wall. It's about four inches. I put it back in and replaced the elbow, trap, drain extension.

I'll take a picture, phishfood and AirDelights. I dug out a lot of the Great Stuff, which might help you see more, too.

You need to open wall and replace tee and nipple if i am looking at picture right the slip nut was inside the wall originally. Most likley screwed on to a galvanized nipple. If continued to leak it will cause water damage. It needs to have a tight seal.

Here are the more distant photos. The drip comes off the metal ring, but I can't shoot it unless I turn on the faucet.

PS: These photos show why the close-ups tell more. Here it looks like the stub-out is flush with the wall, but it's not.

Side from further out.jpg

View from further front.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am with Journeyman on this one, you need to get into the wall to fix this one.

Can you get to it from the other side of the wall, instead of removing tile?

Photos taken after disassembly, Great Stuff dug out, and tube removed. These may help if I'm using words incorrectly. The show the pipe inside the wall that the tube sits in; the tube removed and an even slot near its end; the washer (in place) I was after behind what I thought was a nut on the end of the tube; the washer itself; and the tube back in place inside the inner the pipe.

Do these help?

The pipe inside.jpg

Tube and slot.jpg

The washer I was after.jpg

The washer.jpg

Tube back in place.jpg

Last edited:
You are going to have to open wall to make repairs. I would call a professional to come and fix it for you. If there is drywall on back side i would do repair from that side

Here's what it looks like. Is it correct?

This pipe is the true stub-out, so the stub-out didn't come out. The tube that came out of it had been siliconed in place; the slot near its end was meant to let drain water exit on a sideways slope into the large-diameter, cast-iron pipe that the toilet and tub also drain into.

The stub-out seems to be in good shape. It has no holes or wads of rust, and no light escaped when I stuck a flashlight inside.

The tube apparently was a half-assed connector siliconed to the pipe, which doesn't seem to have threading. A plumber will need to hack out some of the tile, but the job likely won't be as dire as feared.

Side view.jpg

Shows everything.jpg

Pipe and supports.jpg

It took me a while to understand (and some time on YouTube), but when I did, it was almost funny. The nut has to come off the nipple, and the nipple may have to come out of the vertical pipe, and the wall has to be opened by someone who knows what they're doing either way.

Thanks again for the help.

Back