Stripped piece

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diylearner

Reaction score
In my bathroom the faucet is leaking. Sometimes it's hot sometimes it's cold. Just want to replace the whole thing but the hot water is corroded and stripped. Looking for advice on how to remove it without tearing apart wall.

20170131_170027.jpg

20170131_170044.jpg

20170131_170035.jpg

you have a wee bit of a problem,

the tub valve can be switched out with out cutting the wall by . cutting the wall in the room behind the tub.

that part is a cake walk, that is not your problem. the trick is going to find a decent valve in that configuration

and the other issue is air gap.

from top of tub to bottom of spout, the free atmospheric gap can be no less than 1''

your spout in the picture looks mighty close...

research, RV tub valves,

they make 100's of cheap $30.00 valves, you do not want one of those pos valves.

this is where the hard part is, finding a GOOD, decent valve

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. There is no other way to fix this without cutting into the wall? The room on the other side, is my kitchen. So I'd like to avoid that side as well if possible!! 😉

you have a wee bit of a problem,

the tub valve can be switched out with out cutting the wall by . cutting the wall in the room behind the tub.

that part is a cake walk, that is not your problem. the trick is going to find a decent valve in that configuration

and the other issue is air gap.

from top of tub to bottom of spout, the free atmospheric gap can be no less than 1''

your spout in the picture looks mighty close...

research, RV tub valves,

they make 100's of cheap $30.00 valves, you do not want one of those pos valves.

this is where the hard part is, finding a GOOD, decent valve

You can try one of those gator sockets to remove the stem.
I bought one a couple years ago and to be honest I have never had a chance to use it yet

Good luck finding that stem. Let us know what you come up with.

Agree with above get the chrome off and see if you have something more to work with. When I come across these I know the worst thing that's going to happen is I open the wall and replace the valve, so I'll get pretty rough on the valve to get those stems out. The last time I was successful and didn't destroy the valve I drilled out the face of the valve stem and used a combination of these two tools, from lowes, one time use pos type deals. I also used a combination on pb blaster, heat, and a lot of elbow grease to get the threads to finally break lose. Also if you decide to drill it out be carefull to not nick the valve body if you do it's all over and the valves shot. I'm on my iPad so I can't get the images to upload but here's the two link to tools at lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-1-2-in-Fitting-Removal-Tool/999903519#

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cobra-1-8-In-3-4-in-Removal-Tool/1000063165#

Back