Strangest water hammer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbunny69

Reaction score
I have been hearing some banging noise for about a year since i purchased the towhhouse.

Recently i measured the water pressure and it was about 70-75 PSI, I replaced the pressure regulating valve as it was broken and the pressure dropped to 50 PSI.

Once is a while I keep hearing this banging noise, which is not related to any other activities inside the house (flushing toilets, washers, open close faucets, etc...) It sounds like its coming from the underground, from the main pipe, but it resonates quite well in my second floor restroom.

It does go away with a toilet flush, otherwise it lasts about couple of minutes. Sometimes I hear it twice a day sometimes more.

Other facts:
-When I heared it over at my townhouse I quickly listened to it at my neighbours and heard it as well from his water boiler outside closet.
-Before I replaced the pressure regulating valve and I heared the noise the pressure spiked 5-10 PSI in unison with the bang noises. The pressure spikes were really fast, susbseconds.
-After I replaced the pressure regulating valve I did not see the spikes on the PSI gauge for a few days then after sometime I observed the spikes , maybe 2-3 PSI this time when the noise occured. The pressure however stayed at around 50 PSI.

I am trying to figure out how I can get rid of the noise. I was thinking to buy some mini restors to put under the sinks and under each toilet (3) They are however 50$ each and before I inverst 200-300$ I want to make sure I am on the right track.

Please share your thoughts as I cannot find such unique water hammer anywhere else on the internet.

I'm so upset................I literally just spent 20 mins typing the answer to your problem for it to disappear into thin air!!!! SMH
Well to now make it into a short story and not a novel its an air problem with either a fixture like "A Faucet , old toilet bowl part or a shower body that's old or messed up.
In better detail I can explain it 100 X better it's a very involved job because it requires the process of elimination for you to locate it
CALL FOR FREE INFO if you want, I never mind lending a hand
www.bullseyeNYCplumbing.com

Latest posts

Back