Strange toilet flushing problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just1moredrink

Reaction score
My toilet flushes fine when there is no solid waste in it, but it will take several flushes before it finally will flush solid waste down the drain. A tub/shower 3' away drains into the same 4" drain with no problem. Another toilet 3' from there drains into the same line and flushes no problem. So, if there is a clog, it must be in the toilet itself or the 1st 3' of 4" drain. I've used a plunger to no avail. A snake goes right through no problem and comes back clean. The toilet doesn't fill up the bowl like it's clogged, but just spins around without draining. I think it's a toilet problem, not a drain problem. I read that the toilet works like a siphon. So, on a whim, I filled a bucket with 2" to 3" of water, flushed the toilet with solid waste in it, and when the water in the bowl started spinning I dumped the bucket of water in it. And voila! It flushed perfectly! So, one would assume it's not getting enough water to fill the toilet to initiate the siphoning. But then why no problem flushing without solid waste? How can the tank water dump into the bowl and not raise the water level? How can it drain without creating a siphon? I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There may be a hole in the very bottom of the bowl, a flush jet. It’ll be about the size of your pinky finger. Make sure water shoots out of this hole when you flush. If not, clean it out.

make sure the water level is high enough in the tank.

Last edited:
There may be a hole in the very bottom of the bowl, a flush jet. It’ll be about the size of your pinky finger. Make sure water shoots out of this hole when you flush. If not, clean it out.

make sure the water level is high enough in the tank.
Yes, it has a flush jet and water is coming out of it. The tank looked full, but upon closer inspection the water level is about 2" below the level marked on the tank. I've adjusted that and I'll have to wait and see if that fixes it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sometimes there is something caught in side the toilet trap. When a toilet flushed very good with just water but blocked up with anything like toilet paper. I have bulled out toothbrushes, pens, toys, t p holders , and all sorts of items that people store on the lid of the toilet. If this is the case you must remove the toilet and take it to some place that you can snake out in reverse with a toilet auger or high pressure hose.

You shouldn't have to wait to test it. Make sure the water is at the correct level and then throw some toilet paper in and see if
it flushes. Do this about three times.

Back