Strange Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeynut

Reaction score
My in-laws live in northern Michigan and are on a well. They have VERY cold tap water, rear round. When they have a high demand for hot water, like company or laundry, the burner will go out. Apparently, they've heard sizzling and popping sounds and they think it's condensation dripping onto the burner, before it goes out. Has anyone ever heard of anything similar to this? This is not the first water heater to have the same problem. They live in a trailer and the water heater is accessed through a door from the outside, it's not located inside of a comfy warm house. It's basically in a closet that is accessed from the outside only, if that makes a difference. Also, it is a LP heater. Thank you.

Condensation is highly probable when you are dealing with cold water and a flue chase in the center of the heater delivering 100's of degrees of heat through the center.

Envision a glass of ice water on a picnic table on a hot summer day. Same situation, the glass sweats on the outside. cold/hot equation.

My neighbor had the same problem. The gas line going to the house had a small pin hole, and was almost completely full of water. If a high demand of gas was called for, the burner would go out.
If they were doing light cooking it was fine, but if a large amount of gas was needed, the line would not let enough gas through to keep the fire burning.

They ran a new line to the house and has been working great.

Just a thought.

I don't think they'll go for electric. I think what I need to do is go up there and see for myself if the flame just goes out on it's own, or if it's being extinguished from water dripping down on it. Thanks for the help so far.

Make sure the exhaust ducting is secured properly while you are snooping around up there.

Latest posts

Back