Strange noise from the drainage hole

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello dear community,

We have inspected EVERYTHING under the sun and still no luck!! I have recorded a new audio, and in this recording, I can clearly hear there is water running but there is no water coming out of the hole. Could someone please please help me.... Thank you so so much!!!
And I wonder why it only happens at night?

Like you say, this recording sounds more like water dribbling into a deep pipe. Does someone perhaps have a watering system for their plants on a timer with an overflow going into your community pipe drain?

Maybe someone is growing marijuana with a Hydroponic system, LOL.

How many floors in your building? Are you on the first floor?
Geographic location? (for knowing outside temps/humidity/seasons)
Type of sewer sytem?
Water supply-- individual meters or included in condo? Is it a well or public water?
Water filtration? (although who would backwash that many hours?)
Nearby swimming pool?
Lawn sprinklers?
pump for condensation in something?

Like you say, this recording sounds more like water dribbling into a deep pipe. Does someone perhaps have a watering system for their plants on a timer with an overflow going into your community pipe drain?

Maybe someone is growing marijuana with a Hydroponic system, LOL.
I would probably be able to smell that if that was the case haha

How many floors in your building? Are you on the first floor?
Geographic location? (for knowing outside temps/humidity/seasons)
Type of sewer sytem?
Water supply-- individual meters or included in condo? Is it a well or public water?
Water filtration? (although who would backwash that many hours?)
Nearby swimming pool?
Lawn sprinklers?
pump for condensation in something?
I’m actually on the top floor, so far we have ruled out most of the possibilities. It’s been warm here in DC and the noise has stopped for 2 days. But the the temperature drops below say 70s, the noise comes back again

That sure sounds mechanical, maybe a sump pump running in the basement ?
It does sound mechanical. Im on the top floor of a five floor condo building. Could it be something on the roof? It’s seasonal too, happens everyday in the winter but not too often in summer

It does sound mechanical. Im on the top floor of a five floor condo building. Could it be something on the roof? It’s seasonal too, happens everyday in the winter but not too often in summer
You said in the first post it’s happened every night for 4 years without fail.

Have the building superintendent turn breakers off one by one until the noise stops or it’s determined the noise isn’t from a powered source.

Last edited:
Sounds to me since there is no trap that they are hearing water running in the main sewer from the street. Somebody will be running
water no matter what time it is. You don't hear it during the day time because of all the noise going on. And if you now say it happens
once in a while then TWH is correct, read your first post.

Lol it's the swing check valve for the recirculation line or another system that uses hot water and a check valve to ensure water flows in one direction. Recirculation pumps are on timers.... it's noise it's traveling through the copper pipes vibrating slightly. Locate which check valve and change it for a spring check valve.

Back