Stinky dishwasher NEED HELP!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbGate

Reaction score
I have been having plumbing issues with my kitchen sink being plumbed wrong long ago and while getting ready to fix that mess I was still wondering why my dishwasher just smells horrible! I mean horrible like sewage. Most plastic is also left with a film on it as well as teflon pans. So I decided to take the inner workings out today just to have a look. The sump well was absolutely disgusting! Like old everything in there rotting away as well as this brown gunk all over the place. I found the brown gunk in all of the plastic sprayers and behind each piece it had built up as well. It took me 3 hours to clean everything. WTF? I always run hot water boost and this is a top of the line kitchenaid put in less than 2 years ago. How could this buildup have happened so quickly?

Any tips on this? I already run a rinse agent as well as vinegar. We also run the dishwasher at least once a day every day and sometimes more. I have TSP but I haven't been using it since the 15x does very well. I am about to give up on dishwashers altogether I just have no freaking clue what causes this and how to rectify it. I have changed brands as well from the gel to powder and currently using the 15x cascade packets which is what kitchenaid recommends.

HELP!!!!!

i have found that occasional disassembly(the rotating nozzle arms)and cleaning, lifting up the bottom mat and vacuuming with a wet/dry vac, vacuuming out the sump area AND...this may be the biggy....leaving the door cracked open so the moisture evaporates to have been a TREMENDOUS help when i had odor problems. these are an easy fix!

Yeah that is basically what I just did. I really hope I am not going to need to do this every month or so. I got those dishwasher cleaning tablets I'll start using 1 a month and see where that goes. I guess I'll open it all up again and check what it looks like in a month and see if it is coming back strong. I just wish I knew what caused this. I would think the dishwasher would empty everything out every time so this buildup is puzzling. My water is not too hard either the calcium hardness is around 200.

check your discharge hose it should be clipped up as high as possible before it enters the drain otherwise it will hold dirty water and may back up into the dishwasher base

Back