Still leaking around threads on a new 1/2'' outside spigot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katman

Reaction score
Put a new spigot on outside, Still leaks around threads even with teflon tape. Any suggestions. I can take some pics of pipe tomorrow

I never use Teflon tape except in some air line connections.

Get some good pipe dope with Teflon, make sure both the male and female threads are clean and free from any debris, and you should be good.

Waterlines I always put both Teflon tape and liquid pipe dope. Never had a problem.

I've had good luck with the suggestion dmmsr has made. I was also advised by some of the "pros" here that Rectorseal is highly recommended.
RECTORSEAL.jpg

You really don't need to add the Teflon tape if you are using a good pipe dope. It just takes longer to make the connection and doesn't improve the sealing capability at all.

It's not like "belt and suspenders", but more like a "kite string and a good leather belt". LOL

You really don't need to add the Teflon tape if you are using a good pipe dope. It just takes longer to make the connection and doesn't improve the sealing capability at all.

It's not like "belt and suspenders", but more like a "kite string and a good leather belt". LOL
When I served my apprenticeship that is how I was trained by the master plumber. I have worked with good techs who used one or the other and they ended up having leaks. Trust me I never had an issue where others have due to just using one and not both.

When I served my apprenticeship that is how I was trained by the master plumber. I have worked with good techs who used one or the other and they ended up having leaks. Trust me I never had an issue where others have due to just using one and not both.
Teflon tape fails way too often. If a poor-quality pipe dope is used, it too fails too often. A good quality pipe dope never fails if both parts are clean, and the threads are not severely damaged.

In industrial applications, using Teflon tape AND pipe dope is against many specifications.

The subject here is for residential water lines. Which is what I am specifying to. If it were gas or heat or some other type of special circumstance my answer may have or would've been different. There has always been debate on which one or both. I have always used both and never had problems. Now when people do not know how to apply Teflon properly they will always have issues.

na na na , teflon is very good , I was in the trade 30 years never had trouble, i would use a case every month. you must wrap it in the direction on the threads, start at the front and move back , put at least thee turns, and tighten accordingly . this is for water. if heating use teflon and good pipe dope like tite seal 55, for gas or oil use masters metallic ,1672696920476.png1672696861489.png

In a perfect world you would only need pipe dope but at some of todays pressures and the poor quality of plumbing fittings in general, Teflon can serve a purpose.

Just don’t wrap the first thread, that will get sheared off and pushed into the system.

I wrap Teflon tight and put a light coat of pipe dope on SOME connections.

Other connections I just use pipe dope.

Teflon tape can contaminate the system and so can pipe dope. Gotta use it right.

I don’t use Teflon on pvc threads. Only a pipe sealant. Teflon can stress the assembly and it can crack later, it also reduces friction that could lead the installer to over tighten. Really the same is true for steel or whatever fittings, they just take the extra stress better than plastic.

For pvc clean out plugs I always put Teflon. It makes removing them easier. As far as pvs male and female adapters i have always put dope on it. Teflon always seems to made it easier to cross thread.

Luck is always on my side with Teflon tape. But for water, I always use the thicker gray tape.

Back