Stiebel Tempura 29 Tankless- Quick Electrical Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvoss

Reaction score
Hello,

I am replacing an Eco 27 Tankless with a Stiebel Tempura 29. My question is the electrical wiring on the Stiebel. The wiring Block says, for each circuit, L1 and L2. Does it matter if I hook White to L1 and Black to L2? The Eco didn't have that designation.

Thank you,
Michael

Thank you, that was kind of what I thought. I really appreciate the verification.

Michael

.L1 and L2. Does it matter if I hook White to L1 and Black to L2?
If you are using 220V/240V, with two hot legs coming in on one cable, the WHITE WIRE needs to be marked as HOT. Use black electrical tape, or a black marker and ensure that enough black is on the white.

This is 110v. 3 Circuits each on it' own DP 40 amp breaker. So if I'm reading @Twowaxhack reply correctly, they are both Hot and it shouldn't matter if White or Black goes in L1 or L2. My plan is, obviously to be consistent, White in L1 on all 3 and Black on L2. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Thanks guys for the replies,
Michael

This is 110v. 3 Circuits each on it' own DP 40 amp breaker. So if I'm reading @Twowaxhack reply correctly, they are both Hot and it shouldn't matter if White or Black goes in L1 or L2. My plan is, obviously to be consistent, White in L1 on all 3 and Black on L2. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Thanks guys for the replies,
Michael

Correct, they’re both hot. Just don’t mix up the wires between different breakers.

Correct, they’re both hot. Just don’t mix up the wires between different breakers.
Ok, I guess another question out of curiosity. The Eco 27 has a strip to land the Grounds for all 3 circuits. The Steibel has only 1 and the diagram only shows landing one ground from one of the 3 circuits. Why is that? I was just going to tie all 3 grounds together so they are all landed.

Michael

Ok, I guess another question out of curiosity. The Eco 27 has a strip to land the Grounds for all 3 circuits. The Steibel has only 1 and the diagram only shows landing one ground from one of the 3 circuits. Why is that? I was just going to tie all 3 grounds together so they are all landed.

Michael

I guess that’s how they designed it. Ground all three circuits.

This is 110v. 3 Circuits each on it' own DP 40 amp breaker.

The specs (see attached) on the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Trend and 29 Plus are pretty clear--at least if familiar with electrical wiring. It's quite similar to the Ecosmart Ecos 27 in that it requires pretty much the same electrical wiring and breakers, etc.

Yes, each Model 29 requires THREE dual pole breakers, 40A. A dual pole breaker is by very definition a 208/220/240V setup, not 110V (in a typical residential setting). So you are bringing in two "hots" which together make the higher voltage. The physical wiring requirement is 8/2 copper, which itself is pretty hefty. 8/2 wire will typically have a white and a black insulated conductor (along with a bare ground) and my first response to you was ensure you blacken the white insulation on this wire with a Sharpie or black electrical tape so that the wire is designated in both the service panel AND at the water heater as a hot conductor. This is just common sense and is also code if you are using a white insulated conductor in a hot application. White generally means neutral and you have no neutrals in this wiring.

Since this is a replacement you're doing, but for the benefit of any watchers here, this is a pretty large load on most residential service panels, be sure you have at least a 200A panel. You need six open positions for three dual pole breakers and enough room for those three 8/2 cables. And, (this is a joke) ensure the meter on your home is well mounted, you don't want it flying off the home! LOL 21-28 kW isn't chump change to run.

The wiring diagram for the Tempra 29 shows that there is one grounding point inside the unit, on the block with 3 x L1 and L2 combination points. What I would do is tie all three of the ground wires together in the unit; tie that to the ground point inside the unit, and tie the three individual ground wires to the ground bus bar inside the service panel. What they actually show in the Stiebel manual is a 2 conductor plus ground for one of the cables, and 2 conductor without ground for the other two. However, If I see a ground wire, I expect it to be grounded. If you use the same 8/2 + Ground cable for all three, best to ensure all the grounding conductors are actually grounded.

Code and smart protocol and procedures. Mark the hots as hots, ground the bare wires.

Attachments

• tech-specs-tempra-trend-plus.pdf
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

I am replacing an Eco 27 Tankless with a Stiebel Tempura 29. My question is the electrical wiring on the Stiebel. The wiring Block says, for each circuit, L1 and L2. Does it matter if I hook White to L1 and Black to L2? The Eco didn't have that designation.

Thank you,
Michael
I'm sure it's a typo, but "Tempura" is a name of a Japanese dish consisting of lightly battered then deep fried food, such as shrimp or vegetables.
I doubt that the manufacturer would name their product after a food dish...lol

If you see MY replies above yours, you'd be amazed at how hard it was for me to properly enter Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 into the post. Even after--repeatedly--getting it correct, the "auto correct" (not to be confused with typo mind you) decided on it's own version of how it thought it should be.

If you see MY replies above yours, you'd be amazed at how hard it was for me to properly enter Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 into the post. Even after--repeatedly--getting it correct, the "auto correct" (not to be confused with typo mind you) decided on it's own version of how it thought it should be.
Lighten up, brah, it was meant to be humorous...and disable your spell checker, that may help, don't you think?

Back