State water heater flames out with a bang

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beecrazy

Reaction score
I’ve been stewing on this for awhile. I’ve got a State 50 gallon gas water heater (Model #: GS 6 50UBR T G 200) that “out of the blue” stopped working right. It’s got the newer style Honeywell controllers with the blinking light which isn’t showing anything other than it’s operating normally. I can got through the lighting procedure, light the pilot and the main burner but after a short period, there’s a pop and everything shuts down. It’s like a flame out. I’ve been searching over the internet trying to determine what the heck happened to get to this condition. can someone tell me what might be going on? Or some suggests as to proceed.

To add to my frustration, I’m been having a heck of a time finding parts/replacement part numbers.

If you’re in front of it when it shuts down does it flash a code ?

I assume it’s not getting up to temp before it shuts down.

Most likely a bad gas control. Make sure your gas pressure is proper.

You’ll need to call State to get the model number of the gas control. I’ve found the numbers on the gas control sticker are useless. Maybe you’ll have a different experience, I don’t know.

Make sure all your connections to the gas control are tight. Make sure the unit is getting air.

No, after the shutdown, the light isn’t flashing. The flameout occurs in less than 60 second. The lines are tight. The main gas line ends outside the burn chamber with air “vents” surrounding it. It’s seems this is to mix the gas and air before getting to the burner.

After making sure your gas pressure is correct and gas supply is operating correctly, I would suggest replacing with a new water heater. I suppose it’s out of warranty.

Some gas systems have off board regulators. 2lb gas systems that have regulators that could malfunction.

Some of those control valves are $300.00 and I suspect that’s what’s wrong with yours.

Stay away from anything with that type control if possible.

I called the guy that the tenant got to install this unit. He didn’t remember ever installing a state water heater. He called back and stated that parts are limited and fixing it meant replacing “everything” for over $500 for the parts.

I’m pretty sure that the gas pressure hasn’t changed. What I’m understanding is the issue is too much gas is being delivered to the burner which is causing the delayed “explosion“ gas. Also, it’s the valve that has gone bad not the control board.

My State heater was doing exactly the same as yours. There's a screen around the circumference, near the bottom almost at floor level. I vacuumed that & the problem stopped and hasn't returned.
Hope this is helpful & gets it up and running!
Paul

I am not sure the “bang” is a big deal because my gas grille goes “bang” when I shut off the gas supply. The fact that it doesn’t stay lit only a pro like some of the good guys here can diagnose.

I’m pretty sure that the gas pressure hasn’t changed. What I’m understanding is the issue is too much gas is being delivered to the burner which is causing the delayed “explosion“ gas. Also, it’s the valve that has gone bad not the control board.

To much gas being delivered to the burner is caused by high gas pressure unless the unit has been altered.

Your water heater doesn’t have a control board. It has a gas control valve.

I’m curious about the control valve normal operation. Is it a full opening valve? So it’s either open or closed. Or is there a diaphragm or some sort a pressure sensor regulator involved?

I’m curious about the control valve normal operation. Is it a full opening valve? So it’s either open or closed. Or is there a diaphragm or some sort a pressure sensor regulator involved?

It’s either open or closed.

Latest posts

Back