Stanadyne cartridge replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick H

Reaction score
hello, I am trying to replace a stanadyne cartridge. I believe the piece in the image needs to come off to remove the sleeve and access the pin for the cartridge. I removed the screw, but it is not coming loose. Any suggestions? Am I doing it right?View media item 553]

Yes the screw goes down the middle of that piece and has been removed. That piece held the set screw for the handle.

It’s probably just corroded on. Try pulling really hard, or soaking it in vinegar.

What piece can't you get off? The plastic piece pulls off. Take the long screws out and pull the face plate off and then
the chrome piece over the cartridge pulls off. There is a clip that holds the cartridge. You will need a puller to get
that old cartridge out. If I remember correctly standayne is the same as Moen. Is this correct????

Yes stanadyne and moen are the same I believe. The piece that is corroded on is the handle adapter piece. I got a push pull removal tool from the local shop and the cartridge removal tool. Fingers crossed! Thanks everyone

Turn a difficult task into a hard one.
I would just get a hacksaw and cut through the adapter.
That's the only thing in the way of pulling the escutcheon tube off.
They make those out of plastic now.
I used to have to hack through the whole handle because you could not just drill out that stupid set screw.

C53C1A97-6C55-4FBB-80AA-F90742B986E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Hacksaw was definitely the way to go. 10 minutes of back and forth on it and the thing was finally off . The push pull tool did not do the trick. The cartridge came out no problem, I figured that would give more of a fight!

Back