stainless pex crimp fittings ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ran a triplex with them. I think (my guess) the ring is stronger and safer.... but the downfall is a bad crimp, its a beotch to remove the crimp ring
Sorry, I'm not talking about fastening device - I'm talking about the fitting itself, the part that's usually brass or plastic, and has barbs that the pex pipe fits over.

While we're talking about it though, I've always heard the stainless clamps are tougher to remove than crimp rings. I've never used the clamps, but the crimp rings are pretty easy with the right tool.

Sorry, I'm not talking about fastening device - I'm talking about the fitting itself, the part that's usually brass or plastic, and has barbs that the pex pipe fits over.

While we're talking about it though, I've always heard the stainless clamps are tougher to remove than crimp rings. I've never used the clamps, but the crimp rings are pretty easy with the right tool.
I see.,
I always prefer brass barb fittings, less likely to fail. Could be a matter of preference though

I see.,
I always prefer brass barb fittings, less likely to fail. Could be a matter of preference though
Not sure why brass would be less likely to fail than stainless stell. Boshart (who makes 'em) claims they're stronger. They're definitely much more resistant to water-treatment chemicals such as chloramine, which apparently can wreak havoc with low-lead brass (de-zinciifcation). Also, on the elbows, a very smooth curve, should cause less flow restriction.

From RustyShackleford: While we're talking about it though, I've always heard the stainless clamps are tougher to remove than crimp rings. I've never used the clamps, but the crimp rings are pretty easy with the right tool.

Special pliers are made to not only crimp, but very easily remove the two-ear Oetiker style clamps.
An example is Knipex 1099 i220. Oetiker makes several versions, too.

They are heavily used by the soda pop fountain installers & beer system installers. It takes little force and less than a second to remove a stainless clamp, even hard stainless grade #304 Oetiker ones. They work on step clamps & stepless. The action is, instead of trying to cut through the clamp, they open it by either causing the tail tabs to release (in step-clamps) or stretching the ear, thus opening the clamp's grip, in stepless.

In the photos attached, the jaw with the arrow pointing to it goes vertically on the ear of the clamp. Position it as though you wanted to shorten height of the clamp's ear. Put safety glasses on & give a moderate force squeeze. The clamp will pop right open when the tail tabs release.

The one-jaw version of these pliers work, but the two-jaw is easier to use in tight places & the vertical jaw gives more leverage. (I keep a worn out pair handy because they're really good nail pullers, too.)

Hope This Helps make your jobs easier.
Paul

Attachments

• Two Ear Oetiker Clamp.png
    Two Ear Oetiker Clamp.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Knipex Oetiker Style Pliers.png
    Knipex Oetiker Style Pliers.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info. I've already bought into the crimp ring method though. Man those 1" ones are hard to crimp though. Borrowed the 1" tool from a friend and checked the calibration and it was too loose. So I adjusted it and now I can't close it by hand - need to use a quik-clamp tool to close the handles !

Back