Staining from water softener

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawsaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My water softener is leaving a black stain on the side of my utility sink where the drain tube discharges.
It has been very resistant to typical cleaners. Any recommendationsto remove this? Tnx

Salt takes off most stains. I haven't personally had this issue but I'd try to plug the train, fill up the sink and just put some table salt in...

That's how wife takes stains off most pots and pans.

I've also used salt to remove stains, but have only used it as an abrasive. Are you pulling our leg, or does this actually work?

Plan b would be baking soda. But I'm sure salt would work.

I, too, have never heard of using salt for stain removal. What dosage do you recommend for a tub full of water? I'm ready to try almost anything! Tnx

Last edited:
Black stains from (I presume) well water is probably sulfur. It's naturally occurring, but hard to remove. How about relocating the drain line so it discharges over the drain in the sink.

You're on city water and have a water softener?? If they are selling you water you need treated, who knows what's in there. The only black stains I find in city water is a type of algae.

Back