Spattering in the lines - air ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcride

Reaction score
Over the last week all of a sudden when flushing the toilet as its filling the tank back up the line is REALLY noisy, like air in the lines. This was the basement toilet. When opening up the kitchen faucet I had a massive spattering and spitting of water stream when opening the faucet about half way. I called the City and they said there is probably air in the lines, they told me to turn on the tub for 15 min. I called back later and reported the same, they sent someone out and flushed to hydrants, after that it seemed to fix most of the problem. I don't get as much spattering, but still when flushing the basement toilet its really loud and spatters in the line, when opening the faucet right next to the toilet, it doesn't do it as much, almost none. I called the City again today, they came out and tested the city pressure, said it was a constant 130 lbs, they put a pressure gauge on my hose bib and said the pressure was like 50, which is what I have my PRV set to. They said "Definitely the PRV , we're getting full pressure on the city side" I found their comment off and tested my pressure, it was around 55 static pressure, I tested it while flushing the same toilet and the gauge drops to around 40-45 lbs, then testing it while the sink is open, it only dropped 5 lbs or so...

1) Something with the basement toilet filling back up causes the line to spatter loudly, you can see the water spattering inside the tank as its filling up. Not a significant but its present.

2) The pressure /PVR seems fine, I opened it up all the way (High pressure) then cranked it back to low pressure, the water pressure gauge followed. I set it back to 55, everything seems fine with the pressure.

3) I hear gurgling in the lines at times, when the upstairs toilet is used and the basement toilet (Something with the toilets filling back up) Maybe its the lower pressure of water causes it to spatter more vs having a faucet fully open, this seems plausable

4) I have a expansion tank for the hot water hear, it seems fine, I haven't tested the pressure, I believe it should be around 35 psi if I remember. Why would there be gurgling in the copper?

5) I've bled the lines for 15 min +, even with 4 faucets open half way on the cold, flushing the same toilet seems to make the other faucets spatter. Is there air trapped somewhere that I just can't get out? Could it be strange old plumbing routes causing this (Never happened over the last 5 years)

6) The City did say last week there was a main water line up the street being worked on and the City person did confirm that air in the lines is common when they work on the main line but should resolve it self within a few days. No other complaints in the area says the city. The hydrants were flushed again today.

Is it
A) PVR going out, I thought they work or they dont. It holds pressure both ways.

B) do I need to call the city again and complain

C) I do have a hose bib that I can hook the outside hose to that gives me the full City pressure, I could run the hose and determine if the City line still has air and call them out again and show them

D) Something else going out?

Thanks a ton for reading!!

Looks like the bladder failed in the expansion tank. Checking it with a pressure gauge just leaks out water. There is also gurgling coming from the tank.

So called the water company again, they said their system is good to go and its my PRV.. .LOL so I tested it and its fine.

I go to the dentist for my appointment which is just up the road and long behold they are having pressure/spattering problems.

I call the water company back and the guy tells me he just put in an emergency blue stake up the street, Apparently the hydrant pipe is leaking and air is getting into the system. So they marked it today and will be diggin up the street in the next day or two.

I ended up buying a new expansion tank and will wait to install it after the city is done. I am sure the air in the lines killed the expansion tank with the hammering.

Back