South Carolina below freezing ?'s

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug2123

Reaction score
This is my first winter in Sc where we had temps in the teens. With the water main, and sprinkler system being separate, i have questions for the future.

I had my main water dripping in the house with a heater in the garage when we got in the teens. No issues. Also had a leak with the sprinkler system so i shut off the water for that during the freeze.

My questions are if on vacation duribg a freeze would pipes burst if i shut off water outside at the main, and run the hose, and faucets to clear the lines?

I am assuming that would work since the sprinkler system had a leak by the meter for the sprinkler system, and i had that shut off without trying to get all the water out of the system, and have bo issues with the sprinkler system now. I actually just fixed the sprinkler system today.

I've never been in big freeze geo zone, but everything I've seen in these forums recommend actually draining at low source of every line that can hold water, or blowing out every tap and removing water from WC tank and bowl.

I've never been in big freeze geo zone, but everything I've seen in these forums recommend actually draining at low source of every line that can hold water, or blowing out every tap and removing water from WC tank and bowl.
Thanks for the reply. What is WC?

In St. Louis, all sprinklers have to be winterized. That includes blowing the water out of all sprinkler lines, as they are not below the frost line, and they can freeze and break sprinkler lines and heads.

I'm not sure where you are in SC and if you experience days of single digits or teens like we do in St. Louis, or if you have just a cold front that came through like Texas did last year. If it was very abnormal, you might have enough ground heat to protect your in-ground sprinkler systems. If this is your first year and it is normal, then you should "winterized" your sprinkler system. Call a local sprinkler company and ask them as they do that routinely.

I used to worry about frozen entry pipes every year .......... then I installed remote thermometers in the areas of concern ..... only to find my concerns were mostly unfounded .... the areas stayed above freezing until the outside temp went below zero for several days.
Remote thermometer.jpeg

Check and see how deep your water main is. I have heard of water mains not being used freeze up and break because
they weren't deep enough.

Latest posts

Back