[SOLVED] Toilet Fill Valve Fluidmaster 400AC - Two NEW units, both leaking at the top of the valve. What am I doing wrong?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

setnara2000

Reaction score
I bought a Fluidmaster 400AC (400A - Universal Fill Valve)

Installed it (very easy) and once the tank was full, it started to leak. See first video below.

At about 22 seconds, the camera shakes. That's when I turned off the water and the leak stops.

Went back to the store, returned the unit, got a new one, installed it and, surprise, this one is leaking too. (see second video below).

BTW, the replacement unit has been there for over 30min and it is still leaking like in the video...

As this is a very popular product, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I followed the instructions to the letter, as can be found here: https://www.fluidmaster.com/wp-cont...RUBIK_Instructions_EngSpan_5x7.25_020118.pdf

Before I take it back and forget I ever bought a Fluidmaster, can someone tell me if I did something wrong?

Thanks,
Andres

You are probably introducing sediment when opening the valve to the toilet. Put your supply line into a bucket, then open and close your valve several times, to clear the sediment, then reinstall. Check youtube videos on how to clear sediment from the top cap, and you should be good.

Last edited:
It’s defective. I’ve had a few like that.

Replace it again. Go to a different hardware store……the one you’re dealing with may have a bad master carton.

I would be pissed too. But, would pop a replacement gasket in before doing anything else.

You are probably introducing sediment when opening the valve to the toilet. Put your supply line into a bucket, then open and close your valve several times, to clear the sediment, then reinstall. Check youtube videos on how to clear sediment from the top cap, and you should be good.

It seems to have solved the issue. Amazing how sediments can cause so much leakage. I will keep monitoring but so far, flushed a few times and it's not leaking anymore... Thanks.

Back