Solution found for water pump cycling

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Vanlifenomad

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

So here is my plumbing setup for my camper van conversion. I decided to go with one of those smaller faucets you use to fill water bottles in order to use less water. My issue is that the faucet requires a 1/4 inch inner diameter tubing hooked up to it but as you can see the tubing going into the water pump is much larger. When I turn the pump on and open the tap, the smaller tubing just flails around and leaks, probably due to all the pressure going into the small tube.

My question: Should I run the same diameter of tubing on the outflow and get a barb to reduce the diameter at the faucet? Or will this cause pressure issues as well?

Thank you so so much for any insight. And Happy Holidays :)

Oli

Attachments

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Can you put a speed control (basically a dimmer) on the power wires, so it pumps with less force?
Ask the manufacturer if they sell that, or if one is compatible.
Maybe there is a digital version that might be kinder to the motor.

You can also buy better tubing than the clear vinyl stuff you have on there.

Vanlifenomad

Reaction score
Can you put a speed control (basically a dimmer) on the power wires, so it pumps with less force?
Ask the manufacturer if they sell that, or if one is compatible.
Maybe there is a digital version that might be kinder to the motor.

You can also buy better tubing than the clear vinyl stuff you have on there.
Thanks Jeff, I'll look into this :)

Vanlifenomad

Reaction score
Turns out these Flojet pumps have a pressure plate you can remove with a phillips head. Once removed, there is a screw that you can tighten clockwise while running the tap. I tightened it almost all the way and the cycling stopped completely. The water flow is consistent now!

RS

Reaction score
I assume the pump has a pressure control switch, so it shuts off when it reaches about 50 psi? First of all, you need to replace the discharge line with something more substantial. Then, I would recommend installing a small pressure thank so the pump doesn't cycle on and off so often. We had a small camper that we used off the grid and the pump would start/stop 10 times while I brushed my teeth. I installed a small pressure tank, (about 2 quarts) and then it would only start twice. Whatever you have room for!