Soldered joint twisting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria67

Reaction score
I have a newly installed copper pipe for toilet sticking out of the wall. It was attached to an old copper water pipe using copper 90 degree elbow and soldered by a qualified plumber.

When painting I accidently tripped over the copper pipe sticking out the wall and bent it sideways (5-10 degrees). I then bent it back to make it straight again.

I am worried that the twisting pressure on the soldered joint compromised its integrity. It's not leaking now though.

How strong are those joints? Should I leave it as is as long there are no leaks, or should I ask the plumber to open drywall and examine/re-solder the joint?

I am really paranoid about possible future water damage (2nd floor).

Unfortunately not, it's copper in that part of the house. All rigid. That's why I am worried for long term effects.

only way to be 100% certain you have not damaged the pipe, is to open the wall and look at it.

you should have an escutcheon on the pipe.

carefully, cut the wall behind it, look in the wall at the pipe.

that would be the way, to not damage drywall, if you cant see it. cut the wall

sorry, but only way to 100% sure of something is to look at it.

thanks, makes sense.
the joint is right behind the wall. I should be able to get a good view.

Is it possible for the elbow sitting on the vertical copper pipe to rotate slightly on that pipe, breaking solder and losing the seal?

Or soldered joints are so tough that pipe would bend first before elbow actually moves on the pipe.

Last edited:
Back