Solar Pool Heater Design: Air Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve750

Reaction score
Hi, I have about 900ft of 3/4" poly pipe in 5 coils and am having issues with some of the coils not filling. The only way I can bleed the empty coils is to cut the end of the out end of the coil. Once I have screwed the cover on, there will be no way of telling if any of the coils aren't filling in the future.
I have used a manifold arrangement as I read somewhere that if you just link each coil to the next one, the pump will struggle and burn out.
I have previously had 3 coils and 150ft less pipe positioned closer to the pump, with no problem with filling all 3 using the manfold system.
My question is, if I link all the coils together in one continuous pipe, will the pump be under a greater burden than with the manifold system that would cause it damage. One continuous pipe would mean I will instantly see if there is no flow at the solar bleed valve next to the pump.
The coils are at ground level and as with the previous 3 coils, the pump pushes part of the water to the solar through a T; if I close the valve at the T and divert all the water to the solar, the pressure on the filter's gauge goes through the roof which means the pump is straining I would have thought, so I keep the valve open.

Current arrangement:
solar1.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back