Solar build and install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger2561

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the planning stages of building a solar collector to heat my domestic hotwater. However, although I understand the basics, there are a couple of things I need to know. 1) This is a closed system so my guess is that I'll need an expansion tank in the hotwater line feeding the indirect hotwater tank but I do not know. So, any assistance with this project would be great. 2) Because it'll be used strictly in the warmer (i.e. late spring, summer and early fall) months, I'll need a way to drain the water from the collector to prevent freezing in the winter. Any ideas how I would go about this? I do not want to simply sent it down a drain, that's a waist of a precious resource. Thanks in advance for your input. Roger

The first thing that pops into my head is to catch the drain water in a bucket and fill the clothes washing machine with it.

Or do you have a garden or flower bed you could irrigate with the water?

When these systems are used in cold climates there filled with a non-toxic antifreeze then there is no need to drain them. We would do the same thing in homes with hot water heat that were not occupied for the entire winter season.

John

propelyne glycol is used in these systems, the same thing used in ice cream to keep it from freezing solid

Back