Softener Overcycling?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrevor

Reaction score
Just bought a vacation home with well water and a softener. Everything is running well, and the softener is set to recycle on a gallon usage basis.
I put a bag of salt in, left for 2 weeks - no water was used, still had about 1000 gallons to go, but the salt tank was empty when I returned.

Do these softeners that gauge water use just recycle after a certain time period regardless of use?

If this is the case, would shutting off the water supply cause issues?

It is a CS softener about 10 years old.

If no water is running then the softener should not run. Thats a Chandler System and they are made about
7 miles from where I live.

If no water is running then the softener should not run. Thats a Chandler System and they are made about
7 miles from where I live.
Thank you Tom, that is how I understood it.

I suppose I just need to call someone to take a look at it and see why it would regenerate without any water running.

We also have a vacation home with a water softener, whenever we are gone for more than a day the power is shut off for the pump and softener. You don't want a water leak when you're not there, and if you just shut off the water the softener might try to regenerate, and run out of water halfway, then you would have salty water for a few days.

Back