So confused!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme69

Reaction score
Hi! I have a strange situation and I'm new to plumbing so bare with me please.

I have my dishwasher upstairs and my washing machine is downstairs. The water valves to the washing machine are closed and the sink where it drains into is completely dry. As soon as I run the dishwasher I end up with water coming out under the washing machine. How is that possible?

The back of the washing machine is dry, there are no leaks anywhere, the sink remains dry too. Other than the machine sitting in a huge puddle the surrounding area is dry. I had the repair man in and he said there is nothing wrong with the washing machine.

If there was a problem with one of the valves wouldn't there be water on the floor all the time? I can't figure out what the issue is so if anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate hearing them.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for replying! The dishwasher hose is connected to the pipe for the kitchen sink which goes downstairs eventually meets with the other pipes for the bathroom and goes out of the house.

I just went downstairs and now there is even more water on the floor and the dishwasher was run 8 hours ago.

I just don't understand how this is happening unless the cold water valve that connects the line to the washer is broken some how and allowing water through...and the washing machine has a leak. What are the chances of having both problems at the same time? Knowing my luck...it's pretty good!

Back