Snaking a T-joint

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

SLAN

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

New here and came cos I've encountered a small challenge.

I have 2 sinks upstairs in my bathrooms and they are placed back to back. They have been clogging and now water from one drains into the other. I tried everything till I got a snake earlier and I thought it was going somewhere, but I have just realised that it was just going across to the other sink when I fed the wire. It appears there is a t-joint which is where the blockage is. How do I deal with this - getting the snake to bend downwards and knowing where to make it bend.....The 2 showers upstairs are drain well (though a little slowly sometimes)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
It’s probably a sanitary cross in the wall.

Drop head cables are used here.....or careful cable work to make the cable drop down the stack.

You can also possibly access the vent from the roof or attic to drop down the vent directly to the clog. That’s how I prefer to approach it, from the roof vent if there is one accessible.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Post a picture of both under-sink areas.

You might have more options than you think.

There might be a clean out plug on the wall somewhere, below the cross.

You also should be able to shine a light into the trap adapter at the wall, and guide your snake down the drain at the cross.

You can also try adding a slight gradual bend to the first 6 to 12 inches of the snake, then aim it down there.

You should remove all the drain piping up to the wall, to be able to head downwards.