Snake works, but re-clogs soon after

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oliver McIrwin

Reaction score
Hello,
Our house built in 1911 has one shower drain that clogs regularly. I invested in a rigid auto clean drain opener (model k-30 cat no 34963) which was working great. But the last few times, the shower water starts pooling, so I'll run the snake and in the process the drain clears. I pull the snake out and notice that the auger is pretty clean. Hours later the drain pools up again.
Previous times we would have a big clump of spindly roots. I tried again today, the drain cleared and my wife watched for the tip of the drain auger outside in the vent, and we see that it is clean in the ventilation trap past where we know the roots are.

I'm ready to pull the snake back but I'm pretty sure that the drain will clog again soon. I know we've had plumbers hydro jet the drain and they say we should have it done yearly. We are probably due, but I'm just baffled at the clear drain from the snake and then reclog soon after. Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180812_120931.jpg
    MVIMG_20180812_120931.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180812_121031.jpg
    IMG_20180812_121031.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 23
  • MVIMG_20180812_121721.jpg
    MVIMG_20180812_121721.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
Hello,
Our house built in 1911 has one shower drain that clogs regularly. I invested in a rigid auto clean drain opener (model k-30 cat no 34963) which was working great. But the last few times, the shower water starts pooling, so I'll run the snake and in the process the drain clears. I pull the snake out and notice that the auger is pretty clean. Hours later the drain pools up again.
Previous times we would have a big clump of spindly roots. I tried again today, the drain cleared and my wife watched for the tip of the drain auger outside in the vent, and we see that it is clean in the ventilation trap past where we know the roots are.

I'm ready to pull the snake back but I'm pretty sure that the drain will clog again soon. I know we've had plumbers hydro jet the drain and they say we should have it done yearly. We are probably due, but I'm just baffled at the clear drain from the snake and then reclog soon after. Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

you need to snake from the pic that shows the head of your snake looking down at it.....you need to snake the main to the street with a larger snake cable diameter should be be min of 1/2" you can rent those snakes at lowes or home depot you need to run the snake in until you come back with a clean head snaking roots takes some time start with a small head then increase the size.....last one I did took 3 hours because the pipe looked like a forest I now camera and snake on an annual basis

Latest posts

Back