smell of sewer odor in house have a septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiii98

Reaction score
What are the steps i can take to diagnose what is causing the sewer smell in my house. I have a septic system outside. I have not had it pumped in 4 years however it was "inspected" a year ago. Before i potentially waste my money and have the system pumped, how can I eliminate the problem is not caused by other sources. Should i call a plumber?..a septic pump company? DIY? I assume the two things to check are the traps and the roof vent? Any way to test the roof vent (flush and wait to feel air pressure?)

I think pumping the tank would be a waste of money, but it depends on how many are living in the house using the tank. When we were a family of 4 I would get ours pumped every 2-3 years, now it's just 2 of us and we're gone all winter so every 10-12 years. We let the one at our cabin go 18 years, and it was fine. Hopefully you can take a look in the top of the tank and make sure there is some air space, that indicated the drain field is OK. If you have a lift station and a mound then check to make sure that pump is working properly. Usually sewer smell is cause by the water evaporating in a trap, go around and pour some water in every trap in the system and see what happens. Let us know what you find!

You and RS have the right idea about the traps, and vent.

More to consider: Did anything change before the smell? New appliances, or stop using a bathroom as much?

I mention appliances, because if a dishwasher, or washing machine was installed, or moved, if the drain hose goes into a trapped standpipe, sometimes the hose is pushed too far into the pipe, and that causes the p-trap to get blown out. Just one of those less obvious cases to be on the lookout for.

Sniff it out. Happy hunting.

i filled all the traps, i have NOT noticed the smell, however i do notice a strong smell by the entrance to my house. Is this caused by a problem of too much sewer gas being released by the roof vent and wafting towards the front door based on wind pattern?

Does your drain go out under the front door. Is there an open clean- out by the front of the house?

Usually. This time of year. it is the trap where the AC condensate drains into it.
You are not using the AC so that trap is most likely dry.

Find the AC condensate 3/4'' drain on your unit and trace that line to the trap. pour a couple cups of water in the trap and it will last a week maybe 2

That is what i would check first . ANY floor drains , any unused bathrooms

I have a relocated laundry room in my house. The old washer drain dries up and has to be filled periodically since the drain hole was never properly sealed. I would make another look around for a drain that you may not know about. The other source of the smell could be the dishwasher especially if you have the smell as soon as you start it up.

Back