Small Leak at Clean Out- Concerned About a Bigger Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredlewcock

Reaction score
We recently noticed small water leaking out of our secondary clean-out pipe. We contacted a plumber to have it looked at he noted the clean-out valve was positioned downhill so a lot of the water would collect here.

The plumber ran a snake through the line to determine if there was any kind of blockage. He was unable to determine with any certainty if there was a blockage but did mention the water was discolored and was concerned about a possible leaking or broken pipe under the house.

The plumber mentioned that a camera would need to be run through the pipes to get a better idea if a leak was present. He also mentioned a hydrostatic test too.

My question is do you think this is even necessary or is normal for some water to always still be in the clean-out pipe?

69413581492__DC1B73BE-07FB-4912-863A-FD711C1FBB79-preview.jpeg

If that picture is looking straight down on the pipe it should be empty, even if at an angle,if he snaked it and cleared the drain the water should go away, if this a new issue (one) time it just maybe a clogged drain , it's tough to tell is the nut on the cleanout broken,just doesn't look right, have you tried putting a hose in the drain and letting water flow?????

To me, this guy is just trying to upsell you. Get a second opinion before anything is done, and do not hint at what the first guy said. Please let us know what plumber #2 says.

If that picture is looking straight down on the pipe it should be empty, even if at an angle,if he snaked it and cleared the drain the water should go away, if this a new issue (one) time it just maybe a clogged drain , it's tough to tell is the nut on the cleanout broken,just doesn't look right, have you tried putting a hose in the drain and letting water flow?????
Are you suggesting we run water directly up the cleanout? If so, if the cleanout is downhill, wouldn't it just run right out the cleanout again?

Is the idea that running water up the clean-out would unblock a possible clog? The plumber did run a snake from this point and did get fairly far through the pipes.

On the other side of this wall are the laundry connections, a sink, and also a whole toilet that has been removed and capped off. We did run the sink and water came directly out of the cleanout. I am not sure what this tells us though. This is what it looked like:

View attachment IMG_9781.MOV

That video just answered my question, did the plumber snake from the clean out in the video, that's were id start, you will have the least mess, is the an on going problem, has it been snaked before, if you are flushing wet wipes, any wipes this problem won't go away.did the clean out ever stop leaking while the plumber was there???

That video just answered my question, did the plumber snake from the clean out in the video, that's were id start, you will have the least mess, is the an on going problem, has it been snaked before, if you are flushing wet wipes, any wipes this problem won't go away.did the clean out ever stop leaking while the plumber was there???

Yes the leaking has gone away after the piumber snaked the line starting at the outside clean out going into the house. So my question is, is it possible the clean out cap just wasn't on tight enough and that's what the leak was?

Also, is it normal for water to be just sitting down in the clean out area? Since the cleanout is downhill it seems like that is possible. Or should water never be sitting in the area?

The only way water would be sitting , or leaking from the cleanout is if the line is clogged or back pitched the (end) cleanout should be the highest part of that drain,
Is your drain ok now,, if so I would take the cover off use Teflon tape and pipe thread sealant, I like Teflon paste, I would periodically remove the cap and see if you get flow out of it

Back