small leak after replacing faucet cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunliner

Reaction score
So my kid comes to me last night saying that the shower won't turn all the way off. Sure enough, there's a pretty significant drip coming from the faucet. The faucet's been there at least 15 years, perhaps 30, so I figure it's about due to leak.
It's a moen 'push/pull" style faucet. I pulled the old cartridge and replaced it with the Home Depot replacement version which is the Danco 80993ts . Works much smoother than the old one and stopped the main leak...but now there is a very very small drip coming from the 'front' of the cartridge. the water seeps out and collects in the handle before dripping on down. This was a pretty straight forward remove/replace, so I don't think I did anything wrong (?). Think maybe I just got a bad part?

Your problem is that you bought an aftermarket instead of the original...

Cheaper is not always better. Hurts to try to save a dollar sometimes.

Thanks. Kinda what I thought. It was a Saturday night and I was desperate (boy have I been THERE before....) Plumbing supply place opens at 07:30 tomorrow..I'll be checking with them for the correct part. Luckily the procedure is easy enough....one other question, should I put some silicone or something like that on the new part when I install?

Is that a comparable part for the 1200?

1225B is the better cartridge. The 1200s are supposed to last longer, but on my experience get really stiff after a few years. The 1225B will need replacement sooner but will operate smoother, and lifetime warranty. Just go to the supply store and pick one up.

I called Moen today just for giggles. I wasn't going to press for the warranty since A. I wasn't the original owner and B. When we thought the Danco was gonna work, my son and I cut the old cartridge in half to see how it worked :D
The rep at Moen pretty much insisted that I let them send me a new 1225B free of charge and thanked me for using Moen. I paid the upcharge to get next day delivery, but I'll get that back after I return the Danco to Home Depot.
Thanks to everybody for the advice!
-Mike

Whenever replacing Moen (or Delta) parts, ONLY use the original brand name replacement. There are significant performance differences with generic parts vs. these OEM. And HD carries the Moen 1225B in stock at all locations. I too always try to wait for a free replacement from Moen.

And HD carries the Moen 1225B in stock at all locations. I too always try to wait for a free replacement from Moen.

Do you have to buy them down there? Up here I just walk into any store that sells Moen and say "gimme a 1225" and he hands them over the counter. No questions, no paperwork or anything.

Whenever replacing Moen (or Delta) parts, ONLY use the original brand name replacement. There are significant performance differences with generic parts vs. these OEM. And HD carries the Moen 1225B in stock at all locations. I too always try to wait for a free replacement from Moen.

Now that you mention it, I looked right at that one on the rack when I made my first trip to Home Depot. At the time, I didn't know it would work for the 1200...and apparently neither did any of the three employees who gathered to talk to me.

Do you have to buy them down there? Up here I just walk into any store that sells Moen and say "gimme a 1225" and he hands them over the counter. No questions, no paperwork or anything.

This is Florida...can't be quite that easy. On another note, I've heard even some the people who prefer the 1225 say that they start leaking after 3 years or so. The original cartridge in my faucet took at least 15 years to start leaking (though when it started, it was a big leak.) are they not making them like they used to, or did I just get lucky?

Everything depends on your water quality. I've pulled my fair share of 15+year cartridges. I've also had some last a few months, and everything in between. There's no expiry date, when she goes, she goes, but they're always a free replacement!

Reactions: SHR
one more question...I got the new Moen cartridge in. but now my cold and hot are reversed. might be a dumb question, but will I ruin the new cartridge if I rotate it to the normal position now that it's in, or should I just leave it alone?

Latest posts

Back