Small leak after main shutoff on the way to pressure regulator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See picture attached. It looks like just a connector piece that is independent of the shutoff and the regulator.

Any thoughts if this may just be easier to let a plumber do it as the entire house's water will want to drain back past the regulator right?

I'm assuming shutoff main, disassemble and figure out what I find from there which is probably clean out deposits and reseat/replace a gasket if there is one? Anyone have any tips about this.

First photo shows regulator and shutoff. The pipe going into the shutoff is what is leaking on top. Second photo is a closeup. Note leaking section is NOT the part with the blue thread tape.

I'm also thinking about repairing replacing the hose bib after the regulator - I want to use a ball valve for this but the piece is a 3 way brass to brass t handle bib which is soldered on so I'm thinking repair will be much easier as I'll never be able to generate the heat needed to solder it off (pipe is vertical and so will be constantly getting water dripping to it. )

View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1419717762.357817.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1419717786.580562.jpg

Upon further inspection, I think it was leaking on way into pressure regulator. I tightened it a touch and placed a paper towel under it and no water so far.

Now on to my other pet peeve the silcock valve hose bib. It's brass and I believe soldered in on the copper T. How do I know if it's soldered or screwed in? If soldered how the heck do you get it out since the whole house drains out that way? In my experience you can't get the copper and brass hot enough due to residual water.

Back