Sludge prevention?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The piping that Twowaxhack had a link on, https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...MIw9rb-K7_gAMVszLUAR2o6AqMEAQYCCABEgIoFfD_BwE, would be the best solution. You cannot raise the P-trap outlet, or you will flood your drain lines going into the P-trap leaving them full of wastewater.
Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but this solution seems to put the dishwasher drain after the left sink run, just before the trap. If more water running through the problem pipe is the solution, wouldn't it make more sense for the dishwasher drain to be closer to the left sink drain so that all that water gets moved through the problem run?

After you wash dishes with the dishwasher you should flush the drain clean with fresh water. Don’t let that water sit in the trap and sour.
I will try, but the dishwasher often gets run in the morning as i'm leaving for work, or in the evening on the way to bed. I didn't know this was an issue.

I will try, but the dishwasher often gets run in the morning as i'm leaving for work, or in the evening on the way to bed. I didn't know this was an issue.

I’m trying to prevent any type of stink from coming from your drains. Final rinse water can contain food particles.

To do this I’m suggesting keeping your sink piping and the p trap water as clean as possible.

To do this I suggest hot water and use plenty of it. I can’t stress that enough.

If you follow my advice I think your problem will improve if not totally disappear.

Be sure to fill the sinks up and drain them at once, this fills the piping up and helps keep the pipe clean.

I’m trying to prevent any type of stink from coming from your drains. Final rinse water can contain food particles.

To do this I’m suggesting keeping your sink piping and the p trap water as clean as possible.

To do this I suggest hot water and use plenty of it. I can’t stress that enough.

If you follow my advice I think your problem will improve if not totally disappear.

Be sure to fill the sinks up and drain them at once, this fills the piping up and helps keep the pipe clean.
Thanks! I just did 4 sink fulls of hot water on the left side. That is the pipe where the sludge builds up. The other sink goes directly down to the trap. It drains pretty fast, and creates a good vortex once the sink is 1/2 empty.

Did you see my question about moving the dishwasher tailpiece closer to the left sink drain so that all that dishwasher water gets pushed through the offending pipe where the sludge builds up?
39694-1b04cb37161f2a0d8955d79424d9119e.jpg

Thanks! I just did 4 sink fulls of hot water on the left side. That is the pipe where the sludge builds up. The other sink goes directly down to the trap. It drains pretty fast, and creates a good vortex once the sink is 1/2 empty.

Did you see my question about moving the dishwasher tailpiece closer to the left sink drain so that all that dishwasher water gets pushed through the offending pipe where the sludge builds up?
View attachment 41894
You could do that if you wish and see if it makes a difference.

I would suggest you change out that baffled tailpiece with a non-baffled one, and one with a steeper angle on the dishwasher branch connection. Something like this.

1693242757552.png

Is the pipe running downhill until you get to the dishwasher connection and then back uphill ? Maybe that's causing some trouble too. I'd at least straighten that out so it's all downhill.

So, what is the sludge? Are you pouring (liquid) grease down the drain? If so, when it cools off, it will solidify.

When you fill the sinks up with hot water and pull the stoppers, you can use a plunger once the pipe fills up and it’ll clean those pipes for you.

Is the pipe running downhill until you get to the dishwasher connection and then back uphill ? Maybe that's causing some trouble too. I'd at least straighten that out so it's all downhill.
Again, with that baffle in the dishwasher tailpiece, you only have half a pipe for that horizontal drain and with its reverse slope, there is a puddle of drain water in that piece all the time.

Latest posts

Back