Slow leak fill valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeunc

Reaction score
Just recently, replaced old fill valve, flapper and water supply line. The fill valve is Korky Platinum Universal.
The valve with its rubber gasket sits in hole, I hand tighten the outside black washer as tight as possible,,I have even added and extra turn with wrench..it' seems super tight.

Place a small bowl under it, see about 5 or 6 drips in it an hour. I can look on the underside and I can see slow seep from where the black washer is connected to bottom of tank.
Everything is new,,any ideas or do i just go get a different fill valve tomorrow to try? if so which one?

toilet is an American Standard

thanks

You could make sure the gasket is installed properly. Flat side against the valve. It should seal easily. The gasket doesn’t go on the outside of the tank. Read directions again.

Use a fluidmaster 400 if you replace it. They cost about $8

You could make sure the gasket is installed properly. Flat side against the valve. It should seal easily.

Use a fluidmaster 400 if you replace it. They cost about $8

it only threads one way and yes flat side is against tank, the older one was a fluidmaster that had broken after years. I went with Korky as I replaced one in another bathroom a month back and it was fine,,different toilet though..

it only threads one way and yes flat side is against tank, the older one was a fluidmaster that had broken after years. I went with Korky as I replaced one in another bathroom a month back and it was fine,,different toilet though..

I believe you have it installed incorrectly. No washers or gaskets install on the outside of the tank. Only the nut that holds the valve in the tank is on the outside.

I suggest you review how you installed it. Read the directions again.

Post some pictures of how you installed the gasket.

I believe you have it installed incorrectly. No washers or gaskets install on the outside of the tank. Only the nut that holds the valve in the tank is on the outside.

I suggest you review how you installed it. Read the directions again.

right i know,,,inside tank red rubber gasket/washer,,,black plastic screw on nut on outside...terms may gotten messed up...Have replaced several in the house so no how it screws in..thanks

right i know,,,inside tank red rubber gasket/washer,,,black plastic screw on nut on outside...terms may gotten messed up...Have replaced several in the house so no how it screws in..thanks

Replace it with a fluidmaster 400. Or if you want get another Korky, I wouldn’t.

Replace it with a fluidmaster 400. Or if you want get another Korky, I wouldn’t.

will try tomorrow thanks,,,I guess it can be said that each model of tank may fit things a little differently,,,another model works fine with Korky,,,this tank model Fluidmaster came out Korky in tight , small slow drip out of fill valve

will try tomorrow thanks,,,I guess it can be said that each model of tank may fit things a little differently,,,another model works fine with Korky,,,this tank model Fluidmaster came out Korky in tight , small slow drip out of fill valve

Things can have defects. It’s not that uncommon. Sounds like you have a defective part.

Make sure you clean off the inside of the tank around the hole. Sometimes part of the old rubber gasket gets stuck to the tank and can cause the new rubber gasket not to seal properly. And there could be an imperfection in the tank that was sealed by the old gasket but isn't being sealed by the new gasket. I also like to use a little Vaseline on the top of the flange nut to reduce friction of that non-sealing surface.

Make sure you clean off the inside of the tank around the hole. Sometimes part of the old rubber gasket gets stuck to the tank and can cause the new rubber gasket not to seal properly. And there could be an imperfection in the tank that was sealed by the old gasket but isn't being sealed by the new gasket. I also like to use a little Vaseline on the top of the flange nut to reduce friction of that non-sealing surface.

thanks will do,,,hmm vaseline on the nut that tightens up,,will have to try

Petroleum products may deteriorate the plastic. It’s not needed.

put a Fluidmaster PerforMAX Universal High Performance Toilet Fill Valve 400H in a few hours back with just a small touch of vaseline on the flange. Under the tank with a light, appears to be no seepage at the fill valve nut.. Will continue to flush and monitor for 24 to 48 thanks.

put a Fluidmaster PerforMAX Universal High Performance Toilet Fill Valve 400H in a few hours back with just a small touch of vaseline on the flange. Under the tank with a light, appears to be no seepage at the fill valve nut.. Will continue to flush and monitor for 24 to 48 thanks.

Look at it again in 48 months.

Sounds great. Petroleum products will "attack" some plastics, but the Vaseline won't hurt the plastic of the flush fill valve at all. Even with the glazed surface of the toilet and the smooth surface of the plastic flange nut, they can sometimes stick together and make you think the nut is tighter than it really is. Water works too, but I just like to know the tightness I feel is only the threads of the nut and stem compressing the rubber gasket.

Last edited:
It’s a ballcock or a fill valve not a flushvalve and they do not give false tights, they spin up easily. I’ve installed literally thousands of them . But whatever ✌️

Last edited:
Back