Slow Draining Toilet Drain/Stack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo98

Reaction score
Hello,
I just replaced a couple toilets in the house with some new ones. The others were 40-50 years old and had seen better days. One of them does not go down properly. You can hear the water draining slowly after the bowl fills up. It also started doing that recently with the old toilet so it's not the toilet itself. Also, if the old toilet was used for solid waste purposes, it would not swirl down properly. So for years I haven't used that toilet for that-only liquid waste. So the pipoe is not clogged from solid waste or toilet paper, etc.

Each toilet has it's own stack. The one that seems partially clogged also has a toilet feeding into it from the basement. That one goes down fine. So it seems it must be clogged in-between the basement floor and the toilet upstairs (one story house). Here is a picture of the suspect toilet stack if it helps. It actually appears to be in decent shape. I've seen worse. The house is about 44 years old. There is also the bathroom sink next to the toilet but it doesn't look like it drains into that same stack.

So my question is, could there be that much corrosion in a pipe that size to mostly clog it? Can a snake open it up? I didn't really look down in there when I had the toilet off. I will be pulling it off again though. I know some people would say just replace the stack with PVC but I have to take more of the basement apart to do that. I'd rather unclog it if it can successfully be done.

Thanks.

What you have there is a very old cast iron hub piping known as lead and oakum filled joints. Old school plumbers used to pour molten lead into the hub joints in order to seal the joints. New cast iron pipe nowadays use no-hub joints using stainless steal clamps. I would suggest snaking the lines with the toilet off to try to clear any blockages before attempting to installing new cast iron or ABS waste pipes.

Back