Slope of 4” PVC sewer line under slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randym

Reaction score
I have dug my basement deeper and will have a toilet connecting to a 4” pvc sewer line under the slab that runs 45’ to an ejector pit. I know the current rough-in does not meet code but, assuming it passes inspection, I am wondering if it is good enough as my contractor claims. On average the slope of the line is almost precisely ¼” per foot, but the slope varies. The first 10’ is 0.17” per foot, the next 6’ that is between two 45 degree turns is 0.41” per foot, the next 24’ is 0.27” per foot, and the last 5’ into the pit that begins with a 25 degree turn is 0.11” per foot.

A drawing is attached.

I don’t think there is any good reason for the varying slope. I think its just sloppiness and laziness.

Should I insist that it be redone?

Thanks.

plumbing_slope.jpg

Thanks John. What worries me are the sections that are less than 1/4" per foot.

International Plumbing Code requires a minimum of 1/8" per foot on 3" and larger pipe. That equals .125 inch per foot. So if you have the fall figured exactly, the one section with .11 inch per foot is just slightly less than code.

My personal preference is to have relatively consistent fall throughout the run of pipe, within reason. But I would not expect you to experience major problems with what you have described.

Thanks everyone for your help. I told my contractor I'd point out the slopes to the inspector and let him decide. My contractor decided to fix it.

Back