size of pipe from jet pump to pressure tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricklayer

Reaction score
I have a deep well jet pump (2 lines to well) its down about 90' in the well, I recently had to replace the jet pump after 30 years. the original pipe from the pump to the pressure tank and then to the main line was all 3/4'' copper. I would like to make it a little neater down there because its been hacked together over the years with a mixture of copper and pex. I have to install a water softener so I figured id redo all the plumbing from the pump right to where the house was redone with pex. the outlet from the top of the pump is 1" can I run 1" pex or flexible pipe from the pump to the pressure tank and then to the mainline before the softener or is 1" too big. the inlet on the pressure tank is also 1". I looked at my neighbours pump setup and he had the clear hose with the braiding in it from his pump to the pressure tank and to the mainline. just wanted to make sure this was ok to do

thanks

It sounds like your neighbors pump and tank is from Harbor Freight. You would be hard pressed to find a Plumber who uses clear braided tubing. One inch is what should be used to the tank, then generally it drops down to 3/4". I have never used PEX but in my opinion, Copper is much neater looking than any flexible tubing. However, that is the new way of doing things and it's supposed to be bullet proof.

should the line to thhe softener be 1" too im only taking two lines off bdefore the softener kitchen tap and outside tap

1" is fine all the way into the house, in the house I'm copper or pex, but outside I'd do it in PVC, it will last just as long and it's cheaper to install. Also keeping you piping larger could allow you to have extra capacity, for lawn spigots, or extra house hose bibs.

I don't have any plumbing outside, im in Canada, so pittless at well 5' down and buried, and I don't think we are allowed to use PVC in Canada for potable water could be wrong though, all my plumbing pump,tank, are in the house to protect from freezing, I like copper it has proven itself over time but its hard to not go pex, for some reason it dosnt sweat like copper does with well water, no insulation required,

Latest posts

Back