Sink traps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattershot

Reaction score
We have a leaky trap under one of our sinks, and I thought I would replace it.

Here is the existing hardware under the sink:

trap1.jpg

I went to the local wholesale outlet, and they sold me this:

trap2.jpg

The existing elbow is glued onto the pipe from the wall, so I would not use the new elbow packaged along with the trap. They mentioned I'd need to glue in a length of ABS pipe between the trap and the adapter above it so that it's at the right height for the pipe coming down from the sink.

It turns out that I'm going to need to go back for an exchange, because the size of the thread that attaches to the elbow fron the wall isn't right.

There's one comment made when I was at the wholesale outlet, though, that I didn't quite get. A very experienced plumber happened to be standing there when I was buying the hardware, and he gave me a few tips on getting it set up. One particular comment he made was the following:

"If the pipe sticking out from the wall is long enough, it would be best if you cut off the existing elbow and put on a new one closer to the wall. Then, instead of using this trap, use a P-trap instead. That would be better."

I'm pretty certain this is what he said, as he repeated it a couple of times. But I don't get what he meant about getting "a P-trap instead." Isn't what I bought a P-trap? That's what they call it on the receipt. Any idea what he might have meant?

The trap you bought is an 1 1/2" Iron Pipe Size trap. The trap the plumber recommended is a 1 1/2" tubular size trap with a trap adaptor. The trap adaptor will glue onto the pipe sticking out of the wall, then you will have threaded compression joints for the rest of the trap. Everything will be adjustable, much easier to line up.

Back