Sink not venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksmartin

Reaction score
I took this video, any idea why it’s draining slowly - it sometimes fills up and takes 5 minutes to drain. I guess it could also be a blockage, it does happen more when the laundry is running. Actually I hear bubbling sounds from the sink drain sometimes when laundry runs donwstairs from here. If it is a venting issue maybe it needs to be higher than the horizontal black pipe from the left sink? Appreciate any ideas. Video here: New video by Frank Martin

Last edited:
Those two sinks should only have one p-trap for the both of them. With two p-trap going into one AAV vented drain, you have a s-trap situation. This will slow down the flow of water and increase the chances of backups.

Ok thank you, so likely a clog and not a vent issue? Any DIY advice on unclogging? Only tried boiling water so far.

The left sink is S trapped, but that’s not your slow drain issue.

You need a drain cleaning pro to run a drain cable down your pipe and clear the obstruction.

Then you can address how it’s piped or have a plumber correct the problems.

I’m not sure if you’re showing an AAV vent on top of that drain piping or not. It should have an AAV.

I really appreciate the reply. Yea there is usually an AAV there.

So I poured boiling water and went into crawl space and found where the pipe is hot, blockage seems to be very close to this valve. Would it be possible to screw off that valve to access the pipe? Looks like it probably needs to be cut? Video here: New video by Frank Martin

If that’s your drain line then that valve should be removed 🤣

Go buy some pvc and replace that entire drain under the house

So I poured boiling water and went into crawl space and found where the pipe is hot
That's the hot water pipe leading to the place where you ran the hot water, the drain will be larger, is probably plastic, and will not have valves.

That's the hot water pipe leading to the place where you ran the hot water, the drain will be larger, is probably plastic, and will not have valves.

The pipe he’s saying is his drain like is pretty good size or he has baby hands.

The copper pipe also has DWV fittings used on it.

Put a big wrench on this nut marked in red and turn it counterclockwise.

Have a bucket handy to catch any water.
33C97F39-A86F-4843-AEE0-D23AFAE4AA89.jpeg

That gate valve needs to be completely removed.

Update: snaked 35 feet, seemed to get stuck at around 35 had to pull hard to get it back out, nothing found and still blocked.

Local store didn’t have the hose bladders, but I have to go in from the AAV as no nearby cleanout from outside so would be a tight fit.

Time to call in the pros.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back