Sink faucet does not shut off properly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvcstsSR596

Reaction score
Hello,

my bathroom sink faucet will not shut off properly. In straight off position it stops but if I push back to “fully off” position it still runs.

Please help,
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4482.MOV
    31 MB
The cartridge is over rotating. There are parts to the faucet that prevent this in the handle and on the stem.

Remove the handle and take pic of the stem. Turn the handle upside down snd take a pic of the inside of the handle.

I need to see it in order to advise you on the repair.

I believe that’s a Delta Lahara model faucet.

There is probably a little plastic or nylon part that gets inserted onto a notch on the stem of the cartridge.
It has protrusions that engage with the handle to control the range of motion.

Either the little insert is put on wrong, or the handle might have been forced and the plastic stops have been busted out.

So sorry for the delay. Took awhile to find time to get right tools (crazy kids at home, etc). Thank you twowaxhack and everyone!

Attachments

• 44772249-FE09-41B5-812C-8625D045F968.jpeg
    44772249-FE09-41B5-812C-8625D045F968.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 06FBA8BB-C5F0-4D92-8F35-F3AA0D624E0C.jpeg
    06FBA8BB-C5F0-4D92-8F35-F3AA0D624E0C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Looks like your handle was forced onto the stem with out it lining up correctly. The flat spot on the stem coincides with the flat spot inside the handle.

Then the handle pushed on. Then the set screw gets tightened.

After that’s done and the handle doesn’t line up in the correct position, that means the entire valve must be rotated then retightend.

You’ll need to reinstall the handle and make sure it will not over rotate.

If it’s engaged properly and nothing stripped it will not over rotate.

Once that’s done, loosen the mounting hardware underneath the cabinet and rotate the entire valve to the correct position and retighten.

You might need a helper.

Turn the flat side of the brass stem so that it will allow the handle stop built into the handle to drop down into the recessed white plastic part of the cartridge

Looking down at the brass stem it should be turned so the flat part is facing away from the spout. Use pliers to rotate the stem before the handle is installed.

Success! Unfortunately I inadvertently created a leak on the opposite faucet. Long story short I tinkered with other faucet to reference position. Took a lot of wrangling around with base, cartridge, and stem. Suffice to say I got the job done. Thanks for your help. Don’t think I have it in me for fix the leak so I may just call someone

Latest posts

Back