Sink drain strainer lower than wall connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJMassa

Reaction score
1st time utilizing this forum. Hoping you can help me. Hope the picture upload works.
Commercial double bay deep basin stainless steel sink. In basement. Bottom of strainer threads are 16-1/2” above floor. Inherited Drain connection center at 17-1/2” above floor. Drain actually penetrates cinder at 14-1/2”.
I could likely get away with raising sink legs 1-2”. Is there any way to configure the hookup to be able to use the old connection? Working new pipe into existing female threads and P trap would be ideal. Or is removing existing P trap and running all new piping only way to make this happen? If at all. Thanks

945A59CD-AA30-4998-B2D5-26562EC2EA38.jpg

E75C7619-FD36-4E4F-97E4-76F0D5BAF4D3.jpg

8936D205-FCE1-4630-AC19-F677C811D4F5.jpg

A9CEAC59-53B8-46B6-8326-78F235D6BBE2.jpg

You already have a trap downstream.
If that is just a vent going over to side wall then just cut off the old trap after the open tee and pipe directly to the cut pipe .
NO trap needed. you already have one.

They make basket strainers that are not so deep also.

945A59CD-AA30-4998-B2D5-26562EC2EA38.jpg

Last edited:
You already have a trap downstream.
If that is just a vent going over to side wall then just cut off the old trap after the open tee and pipe directly to the cut pipe .
NO trap needed. you already have one.

They make basket strainers that are not so deep also.

Ok. A new shallower basket strainer suggestion is helpful. I bought this sink used and these were already installed.
My concern was the height combined with the space needed for fittings isn’t allowing a downward pitch to the connection. Cutting at section you indicate doesn’t change height. I think a new strainer is 100% in order, combined with raising the legs a c-hair (over an inch of play) would make this work. I also need to tie in the drain on the left as well.
I’m a carpenter by trade. So when home plumbing is typical I’m good. When it requires some thinking and know-how I am less confident to install properly.
Thanks man

CC9B354D-288F-4BFF-9237-4F30BB0488A5.jpg

This was where the old house owner had his washer dryer hooked up at one time. I assume the left trap could have been a utility sink. Was removing anyway. The pvc running up is the vent and has no other drain water running through.
Just to be clear- as it currently is, the drain would not work correct? The sink and/or strainer needs to be raised above where the connection will be ?

Frankly you need a plumber to make major changes there. Nothing is done correctly. Need to start over and fo this Properly

Frankly you need a plumber to make major changes there. Nothing is done correctly. Need to start over and fo this Properly
Agreed. That’s exactly what I’ll be doing too. But myself. Confident I’ll get it done. And I actually feel pretty stupid for not thinking of a different strainer myself. The new ones gained me almost 2” in height. Plus another 1-1/2” in leg adjustments should give me plenty of height.
Leaving only the bottom trap. Removing the T connection above it and all metal piping to the left (wasted some time removing 2 couplings and cleaning up the threads though).
New T facing out to accept right side strainer drain pipe ran right into it. Will put another T in that drain’s horizontal run to accept the left side’s piping which will turn 90° as high as possible to run over to right side piping.
As well as re-running the water lines for faucet. Then building a wall in front to butt the sink against. Feeling good about it.

5F58A707-1F72-45FA-A61A-C4646AC66560.jpg

72046B28-642E-4459-BE6F-0534A38EFD91.jpg

Last edited:
Success! Ended up putting poly tee directly into galvanized trap threads. Used Teflon.

C8F9132F-E37C-498B-82EE-23C36351AF86.jpg

Nice pictures and good effort. Just FYI ,the entire installation does not meet Uniform Plumbing Code on numerous aspects. Glaringly, tees cannot be used flat on their side and whatever that is coming up out above the trap/tee is not allowed...there are specific reasons for this.

Nice pictures and good effort. Just FYI ,the entire installation does not meet Uniform Plumbing Code on numerous aspects. Glaringly, tees cannot be used flat on their side and whatever that is coming up out above the trap/tee is not allowed...there are specific reasons for this.

Understood. I just bought a foreclosed property whose previous owner did 50 yrs worth of maintenance and renovations himself. All mechanicals, framing etc. inspector would have a field day here. Plan is to get this place functioning to live in 1st. And then 1 section at a time over the next 10 yrs I will be fully renovating—stamped drawing/permits/inspections.
I needed to make this work without busting out cinderblock. I looked up ‘Polypropene pipe threaded into galvanized Ptrap” and did not see anything against code. T-on side was unavoidable because every 1/4” mattered to have the drains slope down to trap. The center tee on side I used one that had a “flow wall” (don’t know what it’s called) within forcing the drain flow to turn right and impossible to freely flow left -unless backed up.
What is not allowed regarding Tee above trap. I removed a galvanized tee and nipple and replaced with plastic , vented up. With a pvc female sided coupling above to attach vent pipe. Trap too far from drain? A minimum length Tailpiece required? Just curious. What were my other options without using different sink?
Many Inspectors are retired tradesman. I’ve found that if they know you are genuine and not looking to cut corners they tend to work with you. For instance staircases require 10”-12” treads, 7”-8” risers, minimum 36” width and a minimum head clearance height. In Philadelphia as a carpenter it’s almost impossible to find a basement set of steps that passes code.

CE081D25-5DD8-4523-BEE0-82EC118851CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job considering what you had to work with.
Sometime you just have to do things not to code to make it functional.

What is that line running up the wall that you have tied back into the p-trap?

That tee you used is called a baffle tee. That used to be code requirement for disposal connected to a continuous waste from another sink.
I'm not sure if it's still in the code. If so it's one of those stupid rules that most ignore.

Nice job considering what you had to work with.
Sometime you just have to do things not to code to make it functional.

What is that line running up the wall that you have tied back into the p-trap?

Well it’s much easier to to make that decision when you don’t know what the codes are! Aside from the majors.
The line running above the trap is the start of a long vent run. Connected by a pvc “female threaded bottom side coupling” into top of tee. Just dry fitted a small length of pvc into it before checking for leaks. Will be finishing the vent connection this weekend. And re-working the water lines and valves for faucet install.
All new pipe in poly plastic. Had a few different PVC tees to initially choose from for trap connection. But decided on poly as it was smaller and already threaded for direct connection without any extra fittings. Pvc tee + necessary fitting would have pushed me up another 2” in height.
Now that this mess is more or less handled I look forward to the rest of the plumbing. No more breaking stones hoping things will work. Now it’s just layout, removing sections and running new. Lastly a backing wall for sink. And then I can finally hook up my badass pre rinse commercial faucet to be used in my “winery” basement!

667E47CA-007E-4EB6-9CF5-943EAD8028D0.jpg

Last edited:
Back