Sink drain collecting food

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Brenner

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to plumbing, but have a problem I wonder if anyone could guide me on.

Basically, at the bottom of our farmhouse sink there is a hole where the water drains. It's about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The water flows into the hole. About two inches down the hole is a little crossbar which would catch large debris (a fork, a ring, a bottlecap, food - whatever one might not want going down the drain).

The problem is, this crossbar is seated like two inches down the drain. So food builds up and I must routinely (once or twice durning after dinner dishwashing) reach in with two fingers and try and clear out food. This is super-annoying, unpleasant, and time-consuming.

I had the sink recovered a few years ago and although I don't remember exactly how the drain worked prior to the work being done, I don't remember this problem. Should/can the crossbar be put in flush with the bottom of the sink?

I unscrewed the drainpipe and took a picture under the sink in case that would help diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Thanks!
Evan Under sink with drain pipe unthreaded.JPG Drain.JPG Me reaching in to clean out food!.JPG

It’s called a basket strainer, you’re missing the basket.

Check under the sink, your wife probably put it there with all the cleaning products.

I see! Thank you. Is there a style of sink where the crossbar is flush with the bottom of the sink (ie. raised two inches)? I am familiar with this basket strainer style, but we have little kids and loads of dishes and the little basket gets filled so quickly and often and I really don't mind larger chunks of waste going down the drain.

I know I'm getting particular here, but I'd prefer to just press soggy cheerios between a crossbar, rather than having to pull out a little basket (presumably with a finer mesh than the crossbar) to clear it.

I see! Thank you. Is there a style of sink where the crossbar is flush with the bottom of the sink (ie. raised two inches)? I am familiar with this basket strainer style, but we have little kids and loads of dishes and the little basket gets filled so quickly and often and I really don't mind larger chunks of waste going down the drain.

I know I'm getting particular here, but I'd prefer to just press soggy cheerios between a crossbar, rather than having to pull out a little basket (presumably with a finer mesh than the crossbar) to clear it.

press away....have a cheerio pressing party
get a magnetic sticker for your refrigerator for your local drain cleaning guy

I believe it's common to clear the food from dishes, etc., prior to washing them.
Then the basket strainer, with it's 1/8"+/- holes, catches anything that doesn't get scraped from the dishes and simply gets lifted out and dumped into a waste container.
index.jpg

Garbage disposal are not the best choice for septic systems, if that's what you have.

Latest posts

Back