Simple Wax Seal Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlxdrummer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a graduate student with no money trying to fix my toilet.

Short version: Wax seal is leaking. Tried replacing it with a couple different products and none of them lasted (probably installation error). Which is the best (wax with funnel, without, extra thick, non-wax, etc)? The flange is above the tiled floor (with is uneven) so I think the thick ones and/or the ones with plastic or rubber embedded in the wax "bottom out" so all the wax is pushed out. That is just a guess.

Secondly, does it matter if I put the seal on the toilet first or on the flange? It is a lot easier to put on the flange and then I don't have to worry about smashing it with my fingers or is falling off the toilet as I install it.

Long version: We had a plumber come in the fall to fix our wax seal. Hot water had been going into the tank so he was going to run cold and he flooded our apartment. Replaced the brand new floor we just put it again (he didn't offer to pay) then I noticed some dampness coming from under the bathroom tile into the kitchen under the new floor. I decide to replace the seal myself to make sure it is working (the plumber never answered our multiple calls asking about this).

Replaced it, dampness was gone but all of a sudden we had flies. Figured I messed it up so I replaced it again. This seal recently went bad (I think the toilet was rocking on the uneven floor - the plumber didn't shim it and the washers he used were so small I couldn't really torque the bolts without risking breaking the toilet).

Threw on a seal I had laying around (flanged and somewhat thick). The second flush it broke the seal. Probably installation error or it bottoming out as I got bigger washers this time and shimmed the toilet.

I have used a bunch of different types of seals throughout all of this because I wasn't sure which was the best. I am thinking a normal wax one or a wax-less would be best. I would love to get the Sani-Seal, but since my flange is above the floor I am worried the toilet won't sit on the floor.

The next time I am going to have my girlfriend help me line it up (I have been installing it by myself everytime in a TINY bathroom). I will also shim it again and use the bigger washers.

Sorry it is so long I am just tired of not having a toilet, constantly working on my car and this apartment, not having time with school, etc.

THANK YOU!

Latest posts

Back