Simple question on shower head connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrusnak

Reaction score
I'm threading the shower head "arm"(whatever it's called) in to the wall and when it snugs up it's 180 deg upside down. I can't force it another 180 deg(it's bottomed out). I'm using liquid pipe sealant(rectorseal 5).

Should I just go all the way as far as I can to where it's in the proper location and let it harden? It's pretty loose. My fear is my wife will by rough on it(we are using one of those detachable shower heads) and it will break the sealant and start leaking in the wall and I won't realize it.

Wrap the shower arm threads with teflon tape, and coat tape with rector seal, now thread it in.
The tape should make the fit a bit more snug so you can stop it at the correct position.
Matt

I usually use 6 or so wraps of teflon tape, then dope on top of that, as the previous poster said. One handle of a pair of pliers inside the arm to tighten it down.

Make sure to flush through the shower arm thoroughly before you install the head.

How many wraps did you use?

That is a bad spot to have a leak, as you mentioned, you don't usually know about it until a lot of damage has occurred. If you can't get it to tighten up, I would get another shower arm and try that. Thread sizes can be slightly different.

I wrapped it around 4-6 full wraps.

Long end into the wall. Is that correct?

Usually, but not always. Are there differences in the ends?

My biggest concern is with 6 wraps of teflon tape, and it is not tightening, I'm concerned that the opposite elbow may have been split. Can you confirm this?

You mean the female threaded part in the wall? No way it split, it's very thick metal. I can double check though. I'll check the opposite end of the shower head arm, I didn't think to reverse it.

Thanks I bought a new shower arm and it worked perfect, got snug right at the perfect spot.
About a year ago the Danco brand distributed thousands of incorrectly sized shower wall arms from China to the US. After many P.O.ed customers most retailers pulled them from the shelves. I bet you originally bought an old incorrectly sized arm your retailer still had displayed for sale. That stinks. I am glad you were able to replace the defective arm and solve your problem. Good work.

Latest posts

Back